The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Four runs on a foul ball

I don't know where coaches come up with some of their special rules, but the game sure wouldn't be a fun without them. Last night bases loaded, batter hits a foul ball over the catchers head to the back stop (umpire calls foul ball). The catcher pops-up like a spring-loaded springy thing and retrieves the ball, at the same time runners are running all over the place (forward and backwards) the catcher throws the ball to the pitcher who is not paying great attention and is not in the circle (not that it mattered) the pitcher drops the ball. Some coach yells, "That ball is live!" Now all the runners start to advance. One run scores, the ball is thrown away at third, two runs score, the ball is gang retrieved, three runs score, the ball is thrown away again, four runs score. Offence is all jumping and celebrating as the defensive coach starts to come out and complain. "What was that?" "About two minutes of nothing, the ball was dead" I tell him. It took another three minutes to get all the runners back and the batter back in the box, "No ball and one strike!" After the inning one of the coaches asked me if I was sure the ball wasn't live after a foul ball. "Yep not live."

Bugg
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I have had this happen a few times. Foul ball, ball is picked up and the throw back to the pitcher is tossed into the outfield. Coaches start screaming, runners start running, fielders start chasing after the ball, and I just stand there and watch until it's all over, reset everything, and call for the next pitch.

I do like your description much better and can just picture it happening on the field.

BTW, how does a ball get "gang retrieved"?
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
BTW, how does a ball get "gang retrieved"?
Been awhile since you've seen a T-ball game?
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Just curious ---- Why would you let this run around the bases cluster continue? Again I dont do FP, but it seems silly to let players run around the bases, plays be made, rather than loudly and firmly calling DEAD BALL. What if in this cluster you have a player slide and break an ankle?

Seems silly to me to let the teams waste game time on this. Also what would happen if during this time the Pitcher took a cutoff in the circle and then threw home is it an illegal pitch?? Again I only do SP, but the only things that I can see happening by allowing this to continue are bad.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
Just curious ---- Why would you let this run around the bases cluster continue?
Dunno... entertainment? I'd re-inforce the DEAD BALL situation vocally, and if it continued, then just stand back and watch.
Quote:
Also what would happen if during this time the Pitcher took a cutoff in the circle and then threw home is it an illegal pitch??
Of course not. The ball is dead.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again I only do SP, but the only things that I can see happening by allowing this to continue are bad.
It's not different in AA ball. I am not known for timid calls. If I call a ball foul or dead, there is no question everyone in the complex hear's me. That doesn't mean the runners don't take off with all the players screaming like the were about to win the world series.

I do nothing, but stand there and watch them run around like the 10yo. Then I get the, "Blue, you need to tell us the ball is dead". I usually respond, "I did, but your coaches didn't tell you".