The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Warmup pitches

Last night between innings, the first baseman on his way to his defensive position, stopped at the pitchers circle, picked up the ball and took two warm up pitches to the catcher. The pitcher, who was the last one out of the dugout came out and was ready to start the inning when the opposing team protested that the first baseman must deliver at least one pitch since he took the warm up pitches. I have reviewed the rule book and can find no reference to this. Direction please...... Thanks
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach goes out to warm up the pitcher while the catcher gets her gear on, does he have to catch a batter, too?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP
I have reviewed the rule book and can find no reference to this. Direction please...... Thanks
There is no such rule in ASA. Whose rules were you using?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 01:28pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP
Last night between innings, the first baseman on his way to his defensive position, stopped at the pitchers circle, picked up the ball and took two warm up pitches to the catcher. The pitcher, who was the last one out of the dugout came out and was ready to start the inning when the opposing team protested that the first baseman must deliver at least one pitch since he took the warm up pitches. I have reviewed the rule book and can find no reference to this. Direction please...... Thanks
From poking around on the baseball board occassionally, I believe that it's a rule in that sport - not sure about softball - possibly in FED? I don't see anything addressing the issue in the ASA book. And thank goodness for that, since it's common in leagues I work (SP) where a fielder other than the pitcher will grab the ball from near the PP and deliver an unlimited-type arc pitch on the way out to their position.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
- not sure about softball - possibly in FED?
No, not there, either.

I don't know OBR well enough to say whether this is a BB rule. If it is, it may also be a LL softball rule.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

it is a USSSA rule. At least it was on the test. The "new" pitcher must face one batter.

Bugg
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
IF the position change has not been reported to the PU, it didn't happen.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
it is a USSSA rule. At least it was on the test. The "new" pitcher must face one batter.

Bugg
Are you sure? USSSA requires that a relief pitcher face at least one batter, but the crux of the question is, does a player tossing a couple of pitches to the catcher from the pitcher's plate between innings mean that player is now a relief pitcher?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA SP...

Would these first 2 warmup pitches by F3 count towards the three total alotted the defense by rule 6 (SP) Section 8 - Warm Up Pitches, or do you still give F1 no more than 1 minute to complete no more than 3 additional warm up pitches of his own?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
In ASA SP...

Would these first 2 warmup pitches by F3 count towards the three total alotted the defense by rule 6 (SP) Section 8 - Warm Up Pitches, or do you still give F1 no more than 1 minute to complete no more than 3 additional warm up pitches of his own?
The way I was taught when I did SP many years ago (and it then dealt mostly with F1 coming in and throwng the ball to F6 overhand) was that the ball gets to leave SOMEONE'S hand 3 times; don't care who throws it, whom they throw it to, or how it is thrown. In the case of your question, one left. Without a reported change, I have no change.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob

Bugg
Only in USSSA SP, not in FP.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Are you sure? USSSA requires that a relief pitcher face at least one batter, but the crux of the question is, does a player tossing a couple of pitches to the catcher from the pitcher's plate between innings mean that player is now a relief pitcher?
According to the USSSA SP Rules Book, yes. The rule can be found under 5:3:B:4 and 5:3:d. It states:

"A player or a substitute shall be considered in the game...If a pitcher, when he occupies the pitcher's plate and delivers a practice pitch. (5:3:b:4)"

"Each pitcher whose name is entered on the original lineup, or who is announced as a substitute pitcher, or who takes a position on the pitcher's plate and delivers one practice pitch, must then pitch to the first batter facing him until that batter has completed his turn at bat, or the side has been retired. (5:3:d)"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Guys, let's not overanalyze this. ASA FP says nothing about someone other than the pitcher throwing the ball to the catcher from the mound. If a player other than the pitcher tosses a few to the catcher before the pitcher gets there, so what? Once the pitcher gets to the mound, she gets 3 pitches in 1 minute.

If the opposing coach complains, I'm telling him there's no rule that says a non-pitcher can't toss a ball to the catcher anywhere on the field.

Let's use a bit of common sense.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
Guys, let's not overanalyze this. ASA FP says nothing about someone other than the pitcher throwing the ball to the catcher from the mound. If a player other than the pitcher tosses a few to the catcher before the pitcher gets there, so what? Once the pitcher gets to the mound, she gets 3 pitches in 1 minute.

If the opposing coach complains, I'm telling him there's no rule that says a non-pitcher can't toss a ball to the catcher anywhere on the field.

Let's use a bit of common sense.
Right, especially "no rule that says a non-pitcher can't toss a ball to the catcher"; except technically the 1 minute starts with the previous third out, so the other fielder might use the whole time.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
If it is FP as you indicated, it's five pitches in one minute.

Also, as the plate umpire my only concern is how many times the catcher receives the ball. I'm not the hall monitor making sure the right person is throwing them..

And, if we truly enforced the one minute, it would be rare that any pitcher ever received their alloted amount of pitches.