The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

PU versus UIC - game callled for darkness

Hi All,

Watching some local playoffs last night ... 2nd game of a double header, so a later start than normal.

Heading into top of 7, home team up by one ... lots of excitement, good game to the moment.

UIC walks up and, to the PU's surprise, calls the game for darkness and hustles out of the park as the visiting coaches are shouting protests.

I've continued in slightly darker conditions, so in my opinion they could have finished the game.

Game is official, since 5 innings complete.

Can I get some comments on whether or not the UIC should be doing this type of thing?

Calling a game for darkness, weather, etc. should be up to the PU, right?

I think a PU could ask the BU or a UIC or a tournament coordinator their opinion to help their decision, but I don't think anyone should come up to the PU and tell them the game is over.

Regards, bobbrix
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
First of all - he should have stuck around and faced the firestorm he created. Secondly, if the conditions were such that he needed to stop the game - it didn't just suddenly get dark, he should have warned the teams through the umpires that it's getting too dark to play, we are going to have to call it in a few minutes. Thirdly, I've always thought that was the tournament director and the umpires' on the field call, not the UIC.

I still say he's a coward to call the game and run!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

It may be a matter of what is the common practice in your area. In this area, it is absolutely within the authority and prerogative of a UIC to make that type of decision; and absolutely NOT one that a TD would make. At best, a TD would approach the UIC to suggest it may be time; but the TD can make the call, or wait if he chooses to allow the PU to decide.

One of the functions of a UIC is to make the job of the umpires easier, by making decisions on playing conditions, uniform violations, etc. Several UIC's on the NUS staff often observe that we, as umpires, can get in enough hot water just sticking with the basics of ball/strike, safe/out, and fair/foul. Knowing that the UIC has the politically unpopular calls (again, playing conditions and uniform issues) is one way to make it easier for the umpires, as well as creating consistency in interpretation and implementation across a multifield tournament.

Without seeing the condition (HTBT), I can't say if it was a good or bad decision; clearly the visiting team isn't going to like it even if it was pitch black. His call; he made it. Why stick around to discuss it; no discussion can be positive nor (should) change the decision.

Maybe poor judgment; maybe handled without diplomacy. Still his call; he can end the game. You shouldn't allow him to force you to continue when you think it is unsafe, but you have to allow him to make the decision to call it.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

It is within his authority, but he should have stuck around to deal with the visitor's coaches. If there were more than one game going on, having the UIC make these kinds of calls ensures consistency from field to field. But, even if it is the only game, it is still within his authority.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to hear the PU's side of this..

If a UIC called my game for darkness.. the brightness of my teeth from my smiling face would light the field up.

I bet the PU didnt care at all assuming they know each other and work together.

It was too dark, UIC factored the risk and called the game. Its not only within his rights, its his duty if hes there.

No big deal.. use a field with lights if you wanna play in the dark.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrix
Hi All,

Watching some local playoffs last night ... 2nd game of a double header, so a later start than normal.

Heading into top of 7, home team up by one ... lots of excitement, good game to the moment.

UIC walks up and, to the PU's surprise, calls the game for darkness and hustles out of the park as the visiting coaches are shouting protests.

I've continued in slightly darker conditions, so in my opinion they could have finished the game.

Game is official, since 5 innings complete.

Can I get some comments on whether or not the UIC should be doing this type of thing?

Calling a game for darkness, weather, etc. should be up to the PU, right?

I think a PU could ask the BU or a UIC or a tournament coordinator their opinion to help their decision, but I don't think anyone should come up to the PU and tell them the game is over.

Regards, bobbrix
While I believe there is nothing wrong with consulting with the UIC, or the UIC inquiring to the condition on the field, I believe this should still be the call of the crew on the field.

If the UIC believes it is becoming dangerous and that the crew on the field may be taking too much of a risk, I can understand the UIC asserting his/her authority, but through direction to the crew, not walking up to a field and declaring a game over.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I had a UIC call a game of mine a few summers ago. It was a much different situation though. The weather was changing quickly, from very hot and humid to windy with dark ominous clouds rolling in. We had no thunder or lightning up to that point. The UIC came to the field and told us that we were under a tornado warning and needed to evacuate the park. Believe me, I had no problem with that use of authority. And yes, we did see the funnel cloud shortly after, but we never received a drop of rain.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmatt
I had a UIC call a game of mine a few summers ago. It was a much different situation though. The weather was changing quickly, from very hot and humid to windy with dark ominous clouds rolling in. We had no thunder or lightning up to that point. The UIC came to the field and told us that we were under a tornado warning and needed to evacuate the park. Believe me, I had no problem with that use of authority. And yes, we did see the funnel cloud shortly after, but we never received a drop of rain.
Matt - in your case, I see no difference between that and the fields that have lightning meters. I agree with your thought of having no problem with that calling - I'm a coward with that stuff.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, once a game starts, the PU is in charge. UIC walking up to call a game due to darkness would have no more weight than Little Susie's grandfather walking up to call a game due to darkness. (Now, a PU not heeding UIC's "suggestion" might be a post-game discussion point ... but the UIC absolutely has no field-authority during a game, unless it is a tournament AND it is a protest situation).
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Around here, once a game starts, the PU is in charge. UIC walking up to call a game due to darkness would have no more weight than Little Susie's grandfather walking up to call a game due to darkness. (Now, a PU not heeding UIC's "suggestion" might be a post-game discussion point ... but the UIC absolutely has no field-authority during a game, unless it is a tournament AND it is a protest situation).
I agree with this - that's why I questioned it originally. If I were a TD or UIC here the conversation would go like this:

TD: It's looking pretty dark out there, can you guys see OK?

blue: Right now, it's ok, but we'll keep an eye on it - let us know if you think it's getting worse.

I might suggest to them that it's getting bad, but include them in the decision making process.

But that's here in WV and everyone knows we are bassakwards.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.