The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question Non approved bats used for tournement play

Okay, this interesting question came up during a break between games last night.

Our umpires have been asked to do a tournament using ASA rules and NSA bats. The tournament guys want to use some of the hotter bats that NSA allows. Our association does ASA, USSSA, and NSA so that is no problem. The question is about liability. Are we liable by allowing the use of non (ASA) approved bats? I surly don't want some dumb dork (besides me) owning my house because he wanted to use a hot bat and got hurt doing so.

Thanks
Bugg
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

You did take out the optional insurance?
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Okay, this interesting question came up during a break between games last night.

Our umpires have been asked to do a tournament using ASA rules and NSA bats. The tournament guys want to use some of the hotter bats that NSA allows. Our association does ASA, USSSA, and NSA so that is no problem. The question is about liability. Are we liable by allowing the use of non (ASA) approved bats? I surly don't want some dumb dork (besides me) owning my house because he wanted to use a hot bat and got hurt doing so.

Thanks
Bugg
Who is sanctioning the tournament? Do you have insurance that covers you for their games? Is the tournament rule regarding bats in writing?

Make sure the answers to the last two questions are "yes" and "yes" and you'll probably be OK.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If it's ASA rule and ASA sanctioning, ASA rules include the bat lists.

My answer would be NO.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob

Thanks
Bugg
For your ASA umpire insurance to be effective, the tournament must be ASA sanctioned and all the teams ASA-registered.

If this is fact, you should be covered based on Rule 12. However, please note that you are only covered up to $5mm, so you may want to purchase supplimental insurance.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

As Mike says, and based on information from Bollinger, the ASA insurance agent, if 1) the teams are all ASA registered, 2) the tournament (or league) is ASA sanctioned, 3) the umpires are all ASA registered, and 4) the written tournament (or league) rules exist, then the ASA umpire insurance would defend and indemnify, up to the policy limits.

On the other hand, I couldn't say what would happen in you played it as an NSA tournament using ASA rules.