The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Non approved bats used for tournement play (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27124-non-approved-bats-used-tournement-play.html)

BuggBob Tue Jun 20, 2006 02:09pm

Non approved bats used for tournement play

Okay, this interesting question came up during a break between games last night.

Our umpires have been asked to do a tournament using ASA rules and NSA bats. The tournament guys want to use some of the hotter bats that NSA allows. Our association does ASA, USSSA, and NSA so that is no problem. The question is about liability. Are we liable by allowing the use of non (ASA) approved bats? I surly don't want some dumb dork (besides me) owning my house because he wanted to use a hot bat and got hurt doing so.

Thanks
Bugg

rodan55 Tue Jun 20, 2006 02:40pm

You did take out the optional insurance?

Dakota Tue Jun 20, 2006 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob
Okay, this interesting question came up during a break between games last night.

Our umpires have been asked to do a tournament using ASA rules and NSA bats. The tournament guys want to use some of the hotter bats that NSA allows. Our association does ASA, USSSA, and NSA so that is no problem. The question is about liability. Are we liable by allowing the use of non (ASA) approved bats? I surly don't want some dumb dork (besides me) owning my house because he wanted to use a hot bat and got hurt doing so.

Thanks
Bugg

Who is sanctioning the tournament? Do you have insurance that covers you for their games? Is the tournament rule regarding bats in writing?

Make sure the answers to the last two questions are "yes" and "yes" and you'll probably be OK.

CecilOne Tue Jun 20, 2006 03:11pm

If it's ASA rule and ASA sanctioning, ASA rules include the bat lists.

My answer would be NO.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jun 21, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob

Thanks
Bugg

For your ASA umpire insurance to be effective, the tournament must be ASA sanctioned and all the teams ASA-registered.

If this is fact, you should be covered based on Rule 12. However, please note that you are only covered up to $5mm, so you may want to purchase supplimental insurance.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:50am

As Mike says, and based on information from Bollinger, the ASA insurance agent, if 1) the teams are all ASA registered, 2) the tournament (or league) is ASA sanctioned, 3) the umpires are all ASA registered, and 4) the written tournament (or league) rules exist, then the ASA umpire insurance would defend and indemnify, up to the policy limits.

On the other hand, I couldn't say what would happen in you played it as an NSA tournament using ASA rules.