The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 10, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Slowpitch rules?

Can someone please tell me if this is correct. I had one strike,then hit a foul for the second strike................now I thought I got a "courtesy " foul so I fouled off a bad pitch (or what I thought was bad) and I was called out for the last foul as being a strike??
This is womens ASA slowpitch softball

thanks!!!
Old Sat Jun 10, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

So sorry; you were mistaken. In ASA slowpitch, a foul on the third strike is an out.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrradigan
Can someone please tell me if this is correct. I had one strike,then hit a foul for the second strike................now I thought I got a "courtesy " foul so I fouled off a bad pitch (or what I thought was bad) and I was called out for the last foul as being a strike??

thanks!!!
Yeah, what Steve said. One of forty two!
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Some SP leagues that I work do have a 'courtesy foul' rule, which allows for an additional foul ball strike (resulting in the count holding at strike two), before the next foul ball will be strike three and an out. Any use of this rule is local only, and does not exist in ASA rules, as stated above. When you work leagues with local variances from ASA rules, you should be told about them in advance. I always ask, or as a last resort, address them during the pre-game conference. The various SP leagues I work have their own variation on SP stealing, courtesy fouls, over the fence HR limits (including 'progressive' HR's), run ahead rules (mercy rules), player re-entry, etc... I always make a point of going over what local rules the league uses, then conclude by stating that, other than those exceptions, we will be playing the game under ASA rules.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Thank Bluefoot!

Bluefoot, thanks for your reply I will be asking my locals about that because I'm almost 100% sure that we had a courtesy last year.
As for AtlUmpSteve and IRISHMAFIA, are you on here to help people or just to be a jerk? Next time please ask Bluefoot for the answer before you post anything, maybe you could learn something.
Back atcha
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

One night a week, we use the 1 & 1 count rule where the batter comes to bat with a 1 ball and 1 strike count. They get a courtesy foul. In your situation, you would still have 2 strikes and no more fouls to give. Next foul ball and you would be out. Check to make sure your local rule didn't change over the winter.

BTW, you shouldn't be swinging at bad pitches in the first place.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Same rule we have here, NDblue, except it applies for all games. The initial 1-1 count takes a little getting used to ... it hangs me up the first couple games of every season ... I have to remember to set the indicator to 1-1 instead of 0-0 every new AB.

And I've learned to handle that courtesy foul by verbally warning the batter after the first one "no more fouls for you" (I feel like the soup Nazi!) F2 picks it up, lets F1 know ... everybody's happy.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As for AtlUmpSteve and IRISHMAFIA, are you on here to help people or just to be a jerk?
ROTFLMAO - - She didn't know the rule and is mad that you didn't give her the answer she wanted. The obviously means she has to call you names. I think I've had that coach before.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

NO, I don't have to call anyone names! I was just asking if that is how he act with everyone and if so then he could learn a thing or two from bluefoot about how to answer a question, without sounding so rude

However with two strikes on you, I am not the kind of person to go down looking so I will swing at what I think may or maynot be a bad pitch...my fault for hitting it off foul and not knowing the strike/foul count....

SORRY for the question I though that is what this forum was for.......
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

thanks!!!
You're problem is you don't even understand the question you asked. You asked for the ASA rule... you stated that in your subject line and in your final statement. You were given the ASA rule - no "courtesy"foul.

Maybe you should re-read this thread and see who, in fact, was being rude.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

OUR LEAGUE is based on ASA rules. Otherwise I would have just asked about courtesy fouls in slowpitch softball..........WOULD THAT be better?
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

No, what would be better would be to lose the attitude when the question you asked is answered. Since, as you found out, there is no ASA rule for courtesy fouls, then it MUST be a local rule.

No one here can address your local rules, unless they just HAPPEN to umpire in your league. Now that you know it is not an ASA rule, you need to take your question up with your league. If the league does not have a courtesy foul rule, then the call was made correctly. If they do, then the call was not correct. Simple as that.

Last edited by Dakota; Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 06:36pm.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

With 3,503 posts on this site, it don't look like you get off your arse long enough to play any ball. Is that where your attitude comes from?? And another thing I don't remember asking you in the first place.

So get a life buddy!

But thanks again for going over what bluetooth already did Again I said he did a great job and if you read what he wrote you learned something and if not............move on thanks

Last edited by hrradigan; Sun Jun 11, 2006 at 09:22pm.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With 3,503 posts on this site, it don't look like you get off your arse long enough to play any ball. Is that where your attitude comes from?? And another thing I don't remember asking you in the first place.

So get a life buddy!
With an attitude like that, you're not going to get much help later on if you need it. This is an umpires forum and most of us (if I'm not mistaken) probably don't play much ball, we officiate the games and if it weren't for us, your games wouldn't be all that much fun. Backyard games and some lower level rec games may be OK without umpires but competitve leagues need us to keep everybody in check and playing by the rules.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

I never said Umpires were not needed but with attitude like some that are on this site, YOU CAN BE REPLACED! N & S Dakota is not the only place they play competitive ball. WE PAY FOR YOU...not the other way around........

think about it.........so help me or don't I don't care, I will keep playing and you will keep watching.

GOOD TIMES