The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I kept score in a NSA Super men's D tourny this weekend and notice that the umpires where not calling illegal pitch on pitches outside of the limits which is 6' to 10' NSA they would just wait for the pitch to come in then call it a ball and tell the pitcher the pitch was either to high or low but did not gave the delayed signal or call illegal pitch. Had several different umpires come through the field I was working on and all seem to work it the same way but was told later by a director that they should of been announcing illegal just as we do in ASA.

Just wondering if any of you have seen this I understand under U-trip this is the way they do it too.

I also see some good point about not announcing it during a pitch for one on low pitches with some speed it is usally hard to get out in time before the pitch get to the plate also I believe sometimes yelling out illegal during a pitch sometimes confuses the batter and usally if they hit it you have to follow up with a "play it" or the batter sometimes wont run

Anyway just some thoughts

Don
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Don:

That is the way that USSSA does it. There is no such thing as an illegal pitch in USSSA like there is in ASA. The rules state that an illegally delivered ball shall be called a ball, and that upon asking the pitcher can be told that the pitch was illegally delivered (for whatever the reason, be it too fast, too high...etc.) I don't know about NSA.

Scott
Old Tue Oct 23, 2001, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

To start, an umpire should never scream, holler or loudly announce an illegal pitch. Just say it loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear you, or if you are on the bases, for closest defensive player. Therefore, if done properly, there is no excuse for the batter to be confused or shocked.

I have played ASA, NSA & USSSA, and I prefer to hear the call.

As an umpire, I also prefer to call it for the following reasons:

1. If called, the batter knows his/her options immediately and doesn't have to hope he guessed correctly on what the umpire saw.

2. If called, it avoids possible confrontations by the batter who may attempt to intimidate the umpire, which would lead to the next one.

3. After the fact often seems like an excuse instead of a call.

I'm sure there are probably a few more reasons, I just don't have time to post them.

JMHO,