The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

#1 I'm watching a tournament game today and this situation comes up. Now, I have friends on both teams, so these are the facts. I have no dog in this fight.

ASA rules. Player gets up to bat and half swings, down on the ball in an obvious "bunt" play and easily beats out the throw to first base. This guy can fly.

Umps get together and can't agree on the rule (they got away from everyone, but just so happened to be in front of where I was sitting). One says it has to be a full swing. The other says if he breaks his wrist.

Does anyone know the answer? And can you please list the rule too?

=--------------------------

#2 Same tournament, different game. Ground ball to the second baseman and he throws the batter out at first base. The only thing, the first baseman pulls his foot....it is obvious (went to school with the home plate ump and he confirmed that after the game).

The first baseman pulled his foot almost a whole foot off the bag, but the field ump was close to the second baseman and could not see the pulled foot.

The team batting asks to appeal the play, but the field ump will not allow an appeal. Is this normal? Is it in the rules that an ump doesn't have to allow an appeal?

Never seen this before and just wondering. Thanks for any input.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

The 'bunt chop' swing would have to be the Plate Umpires judgement call, so if he thinks it was legal, hard to argue, right?

The pulled foot on 1st, however, IMO is a blown call by your buddy the Plate Umpire. He is suppose to run out from behind the catcher just for this specific reason. He should have let the Base Umpire know.

Now we'll let the vets come in and give you the real answers
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 7-6.H, "The batter is out (SP only) when the batter bunts or chops the ball." Half swing is legal, swinging down is a chop. From what you described, that sounds like a chop, which should have been an out; the application is an illegally batted ball, batter is out, all other runners (if any) return to the base occupied at the pitch.

On the pulled foot, the BU is not required to go for help if s/he believes s/he saw the play an doesn't need help. Yes, the PU should trail, and should specifically look for the pulled foot. But, that is to give help, and PU should not make any call unless BU asks. If BU had a reason not to ask, then so be it (maybe that team was giving him too much grief).
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Max Swineberg 7
#1 I'm watching a tournament game today and this situation comes up. Now, I have friends on both teams, so these are the facts. I have no dog in this fight.

ASA rules. Player gets up to bat and half swings, down on the ball in an obvious "bunt" play and easily beats out the throw to first base. This guy can fly.

Umps get together and can't agree on the rule (they got away from everyone, but just so happened to be in front of where I was sitting). One says it has to be a full swing. The other says if he breaks his wrist.

Does anyone know the answer? And can you please list the rule too?
You stated is was a swing, half or otherwise, if it is a swing, it is a swing, not a bunt.

Also, swinging in a downward motion is not illegal. A "chop" is illegal. A chop is a chop, as in chopping wook.
Quote:

=--------------------------

#2 Same tournament, different game. Ground ball to the second baseman and he throws the batter out at first base. The only thing, the first baseman pulls his foot....it is obvious (went to school with the home plate ump and he confirmed that after the game).

The first baseman pulled his foot almost a whole foot off the bag, but the field ump was close to the second baseman and could not see the pulled foot.

The team batting asks to appeal the play, but the field ump will not allow an appeal. Is this normal? Is it in the rules that an ump doesn't have to allow an appeal?

Never seen this before and just wondering. Thanks for any input.
PU helps only if asked. If not asked, forget the play and move on.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
... as in chopping wook.
I always suspected you of being on the dark side!