The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
out of 3' baseline

Catcher receives the ball from third baseman. Ball is on fair side of her. As she turns with the ball to get ready to try to tag the runner the ball comes out of her glove. When the runner sees her turn she runs out of the 3' baseline. I call here out but later start thinking that maybe she didn't have the ball long enough for the runner to be considered to be avoiding a tag. This all happened in a split second. The ball basically went to the fielders glove and then was out and flying to the fence. What do you say? Dave
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Catcher receives the ball from third baseman. Ball is on fair side of her. As she turns with the ball to get ready to try to tag the runner the ball comes out of her glove. When the runner sees her turn she runs out of the 3' baseline. I call here out but later start thinking that maybe she didn't have the ball long enough for the runner to be considered to be avoiding a tag. This all happened in a split second. The ball basically went to the fielders glove and then was out and flying to the fence. What do you say? Dave
How can you call a runner out for avoiding a tag when the fielder didn't have possession of the ball?

I think this could have been a "no call", but I wasn't there.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. Sounds like you were a bit too quick. No ball possession, so no tag to avoid.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:37pm
(Something hilarious)

Semantics

HTBT, but also, with the way the play sounds, you could probably have been slightly more lenient with the runner, as she technically has 3' to run to the outside/inside of her base path not just a 3 foot-wide running area to step in.

And I agree with above, as 8.7.A. states "..to avoid being tagged by the ball in the hand(s) of the fielder." - No ball in the hand(s) of a fielder attempting to tag = no running out of the base path.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 03:00pm.