The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

A situation was asked of me the other night. Bases loaded, bottom of the 7th. Pitcher walks the batter, game over. The base runners all go to their next base. The batter goes to the pitcher and says nice game, whatever, and then runs and touches first base. Is she out for running out of the baseline? I told the woman who asked me no because there was no play being made on her, and she did touch first base completing her play, so she was fine. Please advise if that is the right call.

Thanks
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

That is correct.

A runner is never required to follow the base line (the direct line from one base to the next).

They are required to not go more than three feet out of their base path to avoid a tag. (The base path is the direct line from where the runner is to the base the runner is attempting to reach at the time a play is being made on the runner).

The batter-runner is guilty of interference if she interferes with the catch at first base while outside of the running lane.

Since there was no play being made on the runner, she is free to choose any meandering base path she wishes, so long as she stays on the playing field.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
That is correct.

They are required to not go more than three feet out of their base path to avoid a tag.
Mechanics question....When this illegal avoidance occurs should we call "Out!" immediately and not wait for the actual tag to occur or the runner arriving at a base?

My experience has been to call "Out! - Basepath!" as soon as I determine the violation has occured and quickly pick up any other runners (visually) to make sure I do not miss anything if there is potential for plays to be made. It is far too common for the play to continue (i.e. rundowns) due to a delayed call and creates confusion.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Call it as soon as it happens with a call similar to your "OUT - BASELINE". Besides helping prevent further chaos, it lets the coaches & fans know you are on top of the play and lets them know the reason for the call.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

It also lets the fielder know they can stop chasing the baserunner and make a play elsewhere if necessary. Definitely make the call immediately and make it loud.