The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I'm PU. Runner on third with big huge monster leadoff. (he is 1/2 between home and third) Trying to mess with the pitcher knowing that the pitcher won't get him (9-10 yr olds). While standing there staring at the pitcher he is 6 feet left of the Foul line. The pitcher runs at the runner and the runner runs home slides under the tag. Safe. Now coach comes out "Blue he's 6 feet off the baseline". I say "no coach he was 6 ft off the foul line perfectly in his basepath". Coach: "What do you think the lines are there for?" Me(getting irritated after putting up with this coach because he is getting blown away in the game) "Well coach they are called FOUL lines. They are there for me to call it fair or foul."

Now my understanding of the play is that the baseline is from the player at the time the play is made on him to the base. This is what I eventually explained to him. He now asks me to reference in a rulebook and I told him we had to move on. After the game we talked again and I told him I'd see what I could find. Me and this guy usually get along on and off the field. Could someone please refernce it and maybe a short interpretation if needed.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 7.08 (a)(1) "Any runner is out when he runs more than three feet away from a DIRECT LINE BETWEEN BASES to avoid being tagged . . . ."

In your scenario, the "base line" is a direct line between 3rd base and home. While you are correct that a runner establishes his own baseline (a direct line from where he's at to where he's going), he cannot be more than 3ft from a direct line between bases for purposes of avoiding a tag. A fielder with the ball in hand does not need to chase a runner all over the diamond in order to tag him. As described, the runner in your case should have been called "out" for being out of the baseline on an attempted tag.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think you made the right call.

Remember that the "skunk in the outfield" play is legal: Runner on 1B stands half way out to the right fielder in taking his lead. If the defense begins to play on him, his basepath is the direct line between him and the two bases he's between. As he runs on those basepaths, they keep edging toward the direct line between the bases.

The rule book is misleading, I admit. I think it assumes that the runner is in a direct line between the bases to begin with.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
OBR 7.08 (a)(1) "Any runner is out when he runs more than three feet away from a DIRECT LINE BETWEEN BASES to avoid being tagged . . . ."

In your scenario, the "base line" is a direct line between 3rd base and home. While you are correct that a runner establishes his own baseline (a direct line from where he's at to where he's going), he cannot be more than 3ft from a direct line between bases for purposes of avoiding a tag. A fielder with the ball in hand does not need to chase a runner all over the diamond in order to tag him. As described, the runner in your case should have been called "out" for being out of the baseline on an attempted tag.
You're just messing with us, right, Jerry?

You don't really think this should have been an out.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Of course not, Bob!
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Skunk in outfield

Yeah I know the play where the runner leading off first goes to the edge of the grass. I coach also and I've done the "Skunk in outfield" play when I was positive we had a good umpire out there that knew what was going on. Haha.

Like I said I'm pretty sure my call was right just because I've had the discussion before I've just never known which rule to reference and if there is an interpretation I can use.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CDcoach
Now my understanding of the play is that the baseline is from the player at the time the play is made on him to the base. This is what I eventually explained to him. He now asks me to reference in a rulebook and I told him we had to move on. After the game we talked again and I told him I'd see what I could find. Me and this guy usually get along on and off the field. Could someone please refernce it and maybe a short interpretation if needed.
The rule is 7.08(a.1) and by a literal reading of that rule the coach was right, BUT we no longer use a literal reading of the rule. Here is an excerpt from the "Historical Notes" for rule 7.08(a.1) in Jim Evans' Official Baseball Rules Annotated:
    Through the years, the interpretation of what constitutes a direct line has changed. The direct line is not a line connecting the centers of the bases, rather it is a direct line from the runnerÂ’s starting point to his next base.
I would say that what constitutes the runner's "starting point" has also changed. Most officials these days set that starting point at the moment the defense begins to make a "play" on that runner - see NAPBL/PBUC Umpire Manual Section 3.1 for the definition of a "play". In this case the "play" would have begun the moment the pitcher, with possession of the ball, began to run toward the runner for the purpose of tagging him. Wherever the runner was at that moment sets the starting point for his "direct line" to the next base OR his preceding base. Just to make it "official", here is the "Professional Interpretation" from JEA for that same rule:
    The baserunner creates his own base path and this is what shall establish the direct line which he must comply with. The direct line is a line which originates from the runnerÂ’s starting point and progresses directly to the base. Do not consider the line connecting the centers of the bases as the direct line applicable in this rule unless the runner is originating on the base.
    The grass, dirt, or painted lines on artificial turf have absolutely nothing to do with the enforcement criteria of this rule.
You can't get it much clearer than that. Just for the record, this is NOT the only rule that has been changed by interpretation over the years. My personal favorite is who can be considered an Infielder for the purpose of the Infield Fly rule. If you enjoy the hunt, try comparing the terms Infield (OBR 1.04), Infielder (OBR 2.00) and Infield Fly (OBR 2.00) to see what I mean. By those rule definitions, only those who are physically inside the baselines at the commencement of a play are Infielders for the purpose of that rule. These days that usually would be just the pitcher and catcher; and then only by special mention. No other fielder would normally qualify.

These days we interpret Infielders to be those players stationed at or near the bases on any play, even if they are physically outside the baselines. The rule specifically precludes using the infield grass as a guide, so what constitutes "at or near the bases" is entirely down to umpire judgement. I've NEVER been able to uncover any rule citation or interpretation that supports that now universal understanding! It's just History and Tradition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 11th, 2003 at 06:28 PM]
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Warren that is perfect! That is exactly what confused me is the actual rule in OBR...but I knew there was something somewhere that said to call it different. I'm gonna print this off and it should serve as a good discussion with that coach.

Thanks again it is reallly appreciated.