The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
When a batter hits the ball are we supposed to look down at her feet at that instant?

I am not trying to be funny or a smart aleck but I am trying to figure out how to see this as the PU. I posted a thread on this last week referring to getting help from the BU and everybody poo pooed that idea. But when I am in the slot and I am focused on pitch location and then following the batted ball, removing the mask (with my left hand) and getting into position for a possible call, I don't know when to look at a batter's feet. Please help.
Check my emphasis added to your message.

This is exactly where your focus should be. That means that you are seeing the battter's feet with your periphial vision (the corner of your eye). You better be d*a*m*n sure that the batter's foot is on the ground outside of the box prior to contact.

I do recall a HS game a few years ago where I called one of the slappers for being out of the box. She was facing a pitcher that was not good and had very little speed. The slapper would start her run in the box, but because the ball was coming so slow, it threw her timing off and she ran literally two steps in front of the box before she hit the ball. Easy call.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

The slap hitters are a challenge in fastpitch. I did notice the gal that stepped in the front of the plate. Again this is shown through the angle of the camera from behind the pitcher, so it is tuff to be certain.

The only way for this to change is to change the rule. Both feet entirely inside the batters box (meaning no part of the foot outside the line but could still touch the line) and then the batting will be fairer. Still a judgement call and could be easily missed or argued.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vietti

The only way for this to change is to change the rule. Both feet entirely inside the batters box (meaning no part of the foot outside the line but could still touch the line) and then the batting will be fairer. Still a judgement call and could be easily missed or argued.
It doesn't make any difference what the rule is or how it is applied, as long as it is done equally across the field, no one has an advantage, thus it is as fair as it can possibly be.