The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 03, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret
I have always been told that if an umpire calls the ball foul then it is foul no matter where it goes. It was clear that the third base umpire called this ball foul. How can they keep playing? Is there a case book play that covers this situation. What if the plate umpire had called it foul and the third base umpire called it fair. Would we just play on? It clearly would put one team at a disadvatage.
I doubt there was a "verbal" call of foul and the PU probably already indicated fair.

The worst case scenario would be to place the BR on 1B and advance any runner forced.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

That was Sally?

If that was Sally Walker, she is a very well respected ump. I unfortunately, haven't had a chance to watch any games this year with work, so I didn't even know she was working the WS. Perhaps, she just had a bad game? You hope it doesn't happen at the CSWS, but hey, it can creep on you at any time.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

more importantly lets talk about the four minute arguement that took place between the NW coach and the three umps.

They broke for commercial arguing and came back and it was still going! Probably around the 8th inning. line drive to LF, who catches and throws to first...what on earth could this arguement be about?!

A little PS about the First base ump in this game; I was once assigned a tourmament in Peoria, IL where she was also assigned. She got her assignment and told the UIC that she doesnt work 12 and under softball because she is "an SEC umpire" real great attitude to have. She told the UIC to move her up or she is going home; she went back to Tenn that day.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

It's a shame

Couldn’t believe my eyes… This topic is a PUBLIC one.
And some of YOU umpires express the WORST attitude an umpire may have: mud on a collegue!
No matter if he/she is a respected umpire, no matter if he/she has a top-level (difficult) game to deal with… he/she under the spot and just for this reason deserves to be put down!
It’s a shame. And I really feel ashamed for you ALL.

What I teach in training sessions here in Italy (in our small wolrd of small softball umpires) is ‘never criticize another umpire’ and ‘when you cannot say something good about him/her, simply shut up and move away’!!
On this board… well my friends, I learned a lot here…
But this time it was not good stuff…

I do not leave in a World of Dreams. I perfectly know umpires are not perfect. I can detect an umpire’s mistake if and when I see one. Even when a mistake is something only another umpire can get. I often discuss about this kind of situation with other umpires FAR AWAY from other than umpire’s ears! …but what ALL this topic as to do with this? Nothing. To me: there was someone assigned where someone else couldn’t get assigned and this someone else is feeling bad about this…

Am I wrong?

Ciao
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Antonella,

Good post!
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

The WCWS is a good opportunity to watch top softball umpires at work. Commenting on the umpiring of the WCWS is an annual thing here. The names of the umpires in each crew and where they were in each game is "public record."

Personally, I have no problem with us discussing their calls, game management, mechanics, etc. However, we should keep it as impersonal as possible, and some of the comments in this thread carrying the implication of umpires being assigned above their heads are inappropriate for an officials board. Let's leave that kind of stuff to eteamz. We need to give them the respect they have all earned.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dakota. The names, etc are all out there for anyone to get a hold of. We are simply using names so that we all know who we are talking about; saying "game two PU" is vague and does not offer us anything to go by.

If the mud slinging comments are directed at my Beasely story, then so be it. However, that is a 100% true story and I feel I can share that story if I feel it is right to do.

Thanks