The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Inspection of helmets before games

For high school & middle school FP games, I was taught by my board to inspect each teams batting helmets prior to the game, and look for the NOSCAE label with proper facemask attached. I do this at every game, and some teams tell me that I'm the only umpire who asks to check them. Some have never heard of it.

Is every umpire supposed to do this? If so, do you do it?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
ABSOLUTELY....

Our association is very adament about this, and I am proud to say 80-90% of us do it. I do a careful check the first time I have a team..and then if I have them again, I check the face guards for tightness....youd be surprised how many loosen up over the course of a season.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Bluefoot]For high school & middle school FP games, I was taught by my board to inspect each teams batting helmets prior to the game, and look for the NOSCAE label with proper facemask attached. I do this at every game, and some teams tell me that I'm the only umpire who asks to check them. Some have never heard of it.

Is every umpire supposed to do this? If so, do you do it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, every umpire is supposed to do it.

Yes, I do it every game. Even if it's a team I've done at a previous game.

Don't let the laziness or unprofessional behavior of other umpires affect what you do. Always present yourself in a professional manor and do the job you're supposed to do!
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I do it every game as required by NFHS and further stressed by the PIAA here in Pennsylvania.I have taken out several hemets without the NOSCAE seal or that are cracked.Coaches are required to have the ASA Banned Bat List on site when bats are checked.We are also required to have each head coach verify that their teams are properly equipped according to NFHS rules at the pre game conference.I do this for the kids safety,but most importantly,I happen to love my house!!!

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely, I check all of it for every scholastic game. This year, I turned an ump in who did not inspect equipment, walk the field, or read our sportsmanship message. When we take , in my case, the PIAA's nickle, we do things my their rules and do them their way.

In summer/travel tournaments, I'm checking there too.
In the weekday double headers - we only check it in game 1.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
I happen to love my house!!!

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
That is an important issue here. If you don't walk the field and check the equipment you are liable if a kid gets injured. I also carry a sharpie pen in my ball bag and mark the new game balls with my initials before the game (and with any new ball that comes into the game during the game). After a ball has been batted a few times it can loose the cor and compression markings - but if it has my initials on there, I know it's a good ball.

Bottom line is safety and insurance. By checking equipment and walking and inspecting the field - you are helping insure the safety of the kids primarily and your family possessions secondly.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
That is an important issue here. If you don't walk the field and check the equipment you are liable if a kid gets injured. I also carry a sharpie pen in my ball bag and mark the new game balls with my initials before the game (and with any new ball that comes into the game during the game). After a ball has been batted a few times it can loose the cor and compression markings - but if it has my initials on there, I know it's a good ball.

Bottom line is safety and insurance. By checking equipment and walking and inspecting the field - you are helping insure the safety of the kids primarily and your family possessions secondly.
That is a great idea to mark the balls. I have had coaches throw cr@p into the game after balls hit OOP.
I am not sure that I would use my initials. I think the game date woud be better or the visiting team name.
Just a thought for what it's worth .02

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to oneonone
Cool

How picky do you all get with the decals on the helmets or numbers painted on them. I know the LL rules say that only decals approved by the manufacturer are allowed on helmets and no paint. The association I call for knows the rule but won't allow its enforcement! Has anyone ever seen a helmet compromised by the decals adhesive or the paints chemicals? I at least try to make sure the paint and decals arn't trying to cover cracks.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I used to use a sharpie, now I use a ball point pen. It seems to hold up better than a sharpie. But that's something I forgot to mention ealier - we do need & want to know that the ball that has just been tossed in to us is the same ball that went out of play.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In a HS game, I don't believe the umpire is liable. It is a preventive umpiring issue that works well. The reason you can ask coaches in HS concerning the proper equipment, but not in ASA or whatever, is because the kids are wards of the school during any school-sanctioned activity.

In ASA or whatever, there is no loco parentis for the purpose of responsibility for a minor.

An umpire would be liable if they knowingly allowed a piece of damaged/non-approved equipment to be used during the game and it resulted in an injury.

Same at the ASA level. The umpires are to check equipment, but it does not relieve the teams of their liabilities.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
In a HS game, I don't believe the umpire is liable. It is a preventive umpiring issue that works well. The reason you can ask coaches in HS concerning the proper equipment, but not in ASA or whatever, is because the kids are wards of the school during any school-sanctioned activity.

In ASA or whatever, there is no loco parentis for the purpose of responsibility for a minor.

An umpire would be liable if they knowingly allowed a piece of damaged/non-approved equipment to be used during the game and it resulted in an injury.

Same at the ASA level. The umpires are to check equipment, but it does not relieve the teams of their liabilities.

The one problem I have with your statement about liability in high school games, is that, at least here in NY, is that you as officials are acting as agents of the New York Public High School Athletic Assn., and so are acting (indirectly I will admit) as agents of the school systems. Also in NY, most of the games outside NYC are assigned by, and paid for by an organization called BOCES, which is another organization of local school districts which centralizes technical training, and also acts as the scheduler and overseer of athletic contests in each region. WE have been told we ARE liable, since WE are the representitives of both entities. This is also what gives us the authority over whatever school employees happen to be at a game (security, custodial workers, etc..) Now, it might be different elsewhere, but this is what we are told anyways....

As I said, this has never been a real problem here, as 99.9% of the teams have the 'bats n' hats' out for inspection without having to ask so...

Lou
ASA/NYSSO/CHVBGSO/PONY [did I miss one? ]

the technical term for all of this, I believe, is called covering yer butt!
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Absolutely the ump is liable in a HS game - it's happened in WV. While walking the field there was a sign leaning against the fence that the umps tossed over the outfield fence. During the game, a gust of wind picked it up and it hit a guy in the stands (15-20' away). He sued and won!

As far as painted helmets go - we toss them in LL. When I went to Southern Region they had us toss them if they were marked with a magic marker! In HS paint is allowed. I've never seen a helmet compromised because of paint or decals but again it goes back to liability. The owner has the option of having the helmet OK by the manufacturer who should provide a letter of such. If the manufacturer won't stand by it - toss it!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Larry said "Absolutely the ump is liable in a HS game - it's happened in WV. While walking the field there was a sign leaning against the fence that the umps tossed over the outfield fence. During the game, a gust of wind picked it up and it hit a guy in the stands (15-20' away). He sued and won!"

The guy who provided the expert testimoney in this case is a friend.

From my standpoint - If there is some issue that needs to be addressed, have the school take care of it. Then we can play ball.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely the ump is liable in a HS game - it's happened in WV. While walking the field there was a sign leaning against the fence that the umps tossed over the outfield fence. During the game, a gust of wind picked it up and it hit a guy in the stands (15-20' away). He sued and won!
Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with equipment inspection.

NFHS Rule 3-5-1
Quote:
Prior to the start of the game at the pregame conference, a head coach shall be responsible for verifying to the plate umpire that all his/her players are legally equipped, and that players and equipment are in compliance with all NFHS rules.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) The game may not begin until the head coach attends the pregame conference and verifies player and equipment compliance.
NOTE:
Although umpires have the duty and right to inspect equipment, the responsibility for proper equipment rests with coaches, student-athletes and their parents/guardians.
(Thanks to Pennsylvania for championing this new rule).

Seems pretty clear as to who is liable. But, then, a slick shyster can convince a jury of just about anything in order to win the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
The one problem I have with your statement about liability in high school games, is that, at least here in NY, is that you as officials are acting as agents of the New York Public High School Athletic Assn., and so are acting (indirectly I will admit) as agents of the school systems. Also in NY, most of the games outside NYC are assigned by, and paid for by an organization called BOCES, which is another organization of local school districts which centralizes technical training, and also acts as the scheduler and overseer of athletic contests in each region. WE have been told we ARE liable, since WE are the representitives of both entities. This is also what gives us the authority over whatever school employees happen to be at a game (security, custodial workers, etc..) Now, it might be different elsewhere, but this is what we are told anyways....
As I recall, NY does not use Fed rules. ASA has no such statement of responsiblity in it as I quoted above.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Here is my problem with your statement, Lou. It sounds more like you are an employee which I doubt the State of NY would agree. Does BOCES required registration, dues/fees and provide insurance? If the answer is yes, that's fine. However, I would find a lawyer to establish the extent of liability for which you are responsible. Obviously, the attorney cannot provide guarantees, but can give you a good idea of where an umpire stands in certain circumstances.