The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 28, 2001, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Fed. Question - The guys in my association were in a heated discussion over this one last Monday night. One of our officals wanted to call a game before it ever started over an issue with helmets. He also wanted to know how come this team had not been pinged on this issue before now.
According to the rules, helmets must have a sticker and an embossed logo. The helmets in question only had the embossed logo. I suppose that the illegal team could have used the visiting team's helmets, but what if they didn't conform either?. The guys all agreed on what the rule book said, but could come to an agreement on whether they would enforce it or not. Aside from the sticker issue, the helmets were fine.
What would you guys do?
The blue questioning this, approached this particular school's AD at today's game.
Chuck
Old Sat Apr 28, 2001, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Our association had a similar discussion about whether the hockey-style catchers masks needed a throat protector or not. What it boils down to is that with 600 or so approved bats, helmuts, facemasks, etc. to check and a different date or stamp or sticker needed periodically it seems that the equipment companies are driving this process more than anybody else. The result is that officials end up having to play games that are technically outside the rules or not allow teams to play whose only real fault is that they don't have the money to buy new equipment (especially for lower levels) every year.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2001, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I've had several helmets that I've set aside this year for not having that warning label. One team lost 3 of their 10 helmets. Each time, they've run over to the baseball field and gotten some stickers/labels or gone to the AD's office for them, put them on, and had me re-examine them. Here in Pa, we've started noting on the line-up card how many bats and helmets the team has. Any other states doing this? It's an easy way to indicate that we've checked equipment in case there is any problem.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

So far I have not run into that problem. Here in
Texas I am sure the FED (softball) rule reads the
same as in other states. Rule 1-1 ART.6 pg8. We
have no penalty listed in Rule book and if helmet
met all other requirements, let them play, has been
local decision to this point.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2001, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Here in VA, at least in my association, the standing order is that if the helmets are otherwise safe, play the game, then notify the association UIC so he can tell the state offices.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Helmets

Chuck
Fed. Rule 1 Sec. 1 Art. 6 Note states that:

"The exterior warning label may be affixed to the helmet in either sticker form or embossed(at point of manufacture)and must be clearly visible.

There is nothing that says they have to have both the sticker and the embossed logo on the helmet. As long as the helmets are legal "Play ball"!

Rick
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

"The batting helmet shall have extended ear flaps that cover both ears and temples and also display the NOCSAE stamp and the exterior warning statement. The warning statement may be ....."

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Helmets

Chuck

"The exterior warning label may be affixed to the helmet in either sticker form or embossed(at point of manufacture)and must be clearly visible.

There is nothing that says they have to have both the sticker and the embossed logo on the helmet. As long as the helmets are legal "Play ball"!

Rick
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Helmets

Quote:
Originally posted by ricko
Chuck

Rick
Rick,
In Pennslvania, the PIAA is the sports governing body. The way they read this is that a legal helmet must have both the NOSCAE stamp/seal AND the warning label. We went over that at our get together for local interpreters and this was emphasized. So we went over this with each of the umps and team coaches at the local levels. I can't speak for how any other state is handling this, but that's the way it is in Pa.

Don't ya just hate it when you see no typos, post it, and then the first thing that jumps out is some fat-fingered wrd?