The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Injury

At the end of April I had a HUGE injury. I was BU in the first game of a college game with the home team leading 9-0 with 2 outs in the top of the 5th. One out away from ending the game and the batter hits a shot to right field. As I am going into the working area my achilles "snapped" and I went down HARD - fracturing my wrist as I hit. Needless to say, I didn't finish the game or the second game OR the rest of the season. I had surgery the following Thursday to repair the tendon and things seem to be going well. My orthopedist believes I will be back before basketball season ready to go. I have my doubts.

I am wondering if anyone on here has ever suffered from this same injury. If so, how was your recovery and how are you doing now?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Uck...

A friend of mine in his mid 30's blew out his achilles playing basketball. He is a football ref, bicycle racer, and very atheletic guy. He was out of action for about 10 months, and is reluctant to do football anymore. Cycling has helped he says, but he still isn't back to normal 20 months later!

Follow doc's advice, he probably knows more about it than us on this board! Besides, you are paying for his advice....you know what they say about "free advice".

Good luck with it
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, so sorry to hear about your injury. Here is to your speedy recovery, hope next spring finds you back on the diamond!

In the meantime will look forward to “batting around” interesting plays here in cyberspace!

Ernie
Anchorage
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

As a player, it took about a year before I was comfortable even moving into a jog.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Aw, man ...

What Ernie said.

Follow your doc's instructions. Recovery can be a real drag, especially if you don't do what your doc says to do.

I'm just getting over a spinal injury ... have been on injured reserve all season, working physical therapy like a madman. Scared to death to get back into working one-man but I gotta do it ... either that or grow old prematurely. I guess it's gonna take a few games to get over the fear factor.

Hang in there, Larry. We're rooting for you.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen. This was my lesson in competing in sports and not being in shape.

As luck would have it, I ended up having the Florida State team physician do the surgery and I was running again four months later. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Granted, I was 25 when I had this injury...your recovery time may vary, void where prohibited!
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Recovery and waiting might be difficult and a "real drag"; but much better than not recovering because you rushed it.