The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up First Night out for our Rookies

Last night was the first night on the field for two of our brand new rookie umpires. There were three games scheduled, the veteran mentoring umpire did the first game with the rookie watching and taking notes. Then the rookie did the second game with the veteran umpire standing on the field offering tidbits of help between innings and being there just in case (my rookie forgot the count several times and I was able to quickly update him). The third game the rookie did by him self with the veteran now off the field, but close by to offer help and protection as needed. This was our first time of trying this method of training. From all accounts I think it worked pretty well. The teams were pretty good and accepted the calls good or bad the rookie made. I don't think they would have been as nice if the veteran umpire was not there to help the rookies. One funny moment, one of the guys who acted as a mentor to me when I first started to umpire was up to bat, he hit a shot that was clearly fair by about 6 inches, the rookie calls a weak foul ball. My friend just turned to the rookie and calmly said, "I think that was fair your position was wrong, let's try it again." He then took his position in the batters box and hit a ball in dang near the same spot. This time the rookie moved correctly to make the correct call. Man I love this game.

Bugg
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

We do something like that. We start our clinics the latter part of January. We have an on-the-field clinic and the a pre-season tournament in early March to expose the rookies to live action. The trainers, one usually around the plate and the other outside near 1B, guide them during the games. We work 2 man in our games, so we team a rookie and a trainer during the spring season and monitor their progress.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
We just started an early season play date for 12B and 14B teams with coaches and mentoring umpires on the field to teach the players and 1st and 2nd year umpires during live action. There is no pressure for the players to play to win since we don't keep score and everyone learns a ton. We felt it went very well and received tremendous response from the coaches and new umpires. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to continue with the mentor thing throughout the year, partners will mix and match, but we have several weekend tournaments where progress can be monitored and bad habits fixed early.

I think what you have, Bugg is another great way to ease new blood into the game and a great story as well.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wish we had some kind of mentoring system here in Michigan, as too many young officials have bad experiences right off the bat and give it up!!!! A mentor is a great way for brining new blood into officiating, as I know when I was starting out and working with a much more experienced official I felt much more comfortable. I had no trainers, mentors, but more or less learned by the seat of my pants and continue to learn something new every season!!!! Not that I think I know all there is to know, but I'd love to be a mentor to a young official, as I know I could help them avoid some of the bad habits and mistakes I made when starting out!!!!
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrock1954
Wish we had some kind of mentoring system here in Michigan, as too many young officials have bad experiences right off the bat and give it up!!!! A mentor is a great way for brining new blood into officiating, as I know when I was starting out and working with a much more experienced official I felt much more comfortable. I had no trainers, mentors, but more or less learned by the seat of my pants and continue to learn something new every season!!!! Not that I think I know all there is to know, but I'd love to be a mentor to a young official, as I know I could help them avoid some of the bad habits and mistakes I made when starting out!!!!
Then I would challenge you to get a program started in your area. Schedule some time with your UIC to get him to buy into it and get going. As all of us old farts (myself included) keep getting older, we need to make sure that we are getting new young blood in the Blue. I, too, love being able to pass on the knowledge I've accumulated from my mentors to help a newer umpire who desires to get better.