The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I've been shopping around for uniforms and it seems like Pro-Ref has the cheapest prices. Has anyone on here ever bought and worn their stuff? Also, if a ref is working in a hot, humid climate would it be wise to buy cotton blend or micro-mesh uniforms instead of 100% polyester? Finally, where's a good place to find shoes? Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Calling in Oklahoma can get pretty toasty. Micro mesh works well with Under Armor underneath to help get rid of the sweat. Knickers I prefer polyester cuz it does not change color tho around here we will use shorts for Jr High and little kids especially while it is hot. That can go pretty deep into October sometimes.
I would look at the name brand they are selling and go from there. If it is name brand then go with it.. If not I would avoid it as you have to question quality.
Shoes I would go with the Reebok NFL shoes. They are comfortable and the traction is awesome on all types of turf. I personally use them except in the mud as then I use my older Spot Builts. There are a few places that carry the Reeboks, Honigs being one of them. I replace my Reeboks every year new at football season then use them as base shoes for baseball.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Honigs is great IMO, they have the best service. I've compared prices with other places, they were cheaper with some things taht the other stores were more expensive. And the items that were more expensiver were cheapter at the other places. It all balances out, but I take their customer service over anyone anyday.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I agree, I have never been unhappy when shopping with Honigs. Quality merchandise, great customer service, and my order is always correct. Price has never really been a factor for me. "Get what you pay for..." is something I follow and it holds true here. I've purchased somethings from other vendors and I haven't been nearly as happy. I did have a shirt or two where the seams came undone a litte, nothing a little thread could fix. But all in all, I suggest Honigs. Plus, their website is extremely helpful.
A little hint. Order your knickers a size larger (ex. if 34 if you are a 32) and get the western top pockets. They will fit nicer and your pockets won't flop out and make you look like you have wings or ears on your hips.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

What about flags- should I get the square types or the ball types. Also, is there any special difference in brands and types of whistles and lanyards? Thanks to everyone whose replied so far. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there wondering these things right now.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Get the square flags and cinch them yourself with a rubber band. The ball types that come already done up have always either slipped out of my pants (they slide easier because of the nylon) or they slide right down my pant leg. You can definitely heave them a bit farther, but you really don't have to when you're just starting out. I think the ball is too big, also.

Get a basic plastic finger whistle (or two). If you want to go all out, get a Fox40 pealess. If you start out with it, you'll be used to it. It sits up a little higher than a regular finger whistle. Get a lanyard whistle if you wish and see if you prefer it. Many an inadvertant whistle has been averted because I had to bring the whistle up to my mouth rather than having it right there already. In that split second, one can think, "hey, the ball is loose - the player isn't down. No whistle"

If you wish to go prematurely deaf, get a metal Acme Thunderer and blow it often.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Get the nylon flags that are the torpedo style. Honigs even sells flags that have a second piece of tape for long distance tosses. I don't see the need for that. Also, get the plain white nylon bean bag. I use the bag that is one sided with the weight on the other side, if that makes sense. Nylon flags and bean bags work best because if they get wet or muddy, they clean off MUCH better. On a side note, don't ever machine wash your flags or bean bags. Learned that the hard way.

Whistles- our state (Missouri) uses a pealess whistle, the Fox style. I moved from Minnesota, where they used whistles with peas. If you go pealess, I suggest the mini fox. Sounds the same as the big one, just smaller. They also sell one that is rubber-tipped. I haven't used one of those. Some officials use the finger whistles. I have one and never used it. This goes back to another post on this forum about whistles in/out of mouth. I personally keep my whistle in most of the time. Some say that is a no no, I've never really had a problem with it. No IW, knock on wood. Plus I think it looks bad to kill the clock with one arm and have the other hand in your mouth to blow the whistle. For lanyards, it's personal preference. I have the short one that clips to zipper and one that goes around the neck and synchs up. I personally like the synch kind. I think it just looks better. I'm big on looking good/professional.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me [email protected] and I can put together a "suggested shopping list." Some of these items also depend on state and association norms, you might want to check with these groups too. I've been doing this for 10 years and I made some bad purchases and wasted some money. I will be happy to offer my opinion.

Edit:
As I was typing this someone else posted. After reading their post, it reinforced that many of these decisions are personal preference.

[Edited by grantsrc on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 09:48 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

hey ABoselli---
I was working with an "R" that had one of those
Acme Thunderers and he blew the ready for
play in my ear----- another frequency I'll
never hear again !!
a tip to all White Hats--- make sure
everyone is clear before you let out
a blast on any kind of whistle !
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:54pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I agree about the finger whistles. I'm a basketball official and it's hard not to drop the whistle out of my mouth by habit. So I switched to the finger whistles for football. It really helped.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Get the nylon flags that are the torpedo style. Honigs even sells flags that have a second piece of tape for long distance tosses. I don't see the need for that.
Well work at BJ, SJ or FJ, when you might be throwing your flag a good distance.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I agree about the finger whistles. I'm a basketball official and it's hard not to drop the whistle out of my mouth by habit. So I switched to the finger whistles for football. It really helped.
for a R or U fingure whistles for good but for the wings and BJ not so much. Kind of hard to blow your whistle whilest giving an incomplete or stop the clock signal as they are the ones that primarily give those.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
for a R or U fingure whistles for good but for the wings and BJ not so much. Kind of hard to blow your whistle whilest giving an incomplete or stop the clock signal as they are the ones that primarily give those.
oh great... not this debate..........
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Get a basic plastic finger whistle (or two). If you want to go all out, get a Fox40 pealess. If you start out with it, you'll be used to it. It sits up a little higher than a regular finger whistle.
I never liked the finger whistle - instead I use a wrist lanyard.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

To each his own.

Bottom line, whatever works and you're comfortable with, do it. Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies and there's room for lots of different types of flags, whistles, bags etc.

Just look sharp with whatever you go with. Don't look like a schlub.
Old Sun Jun 12, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I love the Fox 40 CMG (covered mouthguard) and will use it for lower level games, but they are extremely difficult to hear in a big crowd and both bands playing. They also take a little more air from you to blow. As the R, I use the Acme Thunderer. It is louder and easier to blow, especially late in a game when you're starting to drag a bit and you've been blowing it all night on the ready for play.

As for those that can't decide between a finger whistle or lanyard, I've been known to hold the lanyard in my hand, put the whistle in my mouth when needed, then your hands are still free to signal and you can spit out the whistle without losing it.