The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Now that I have about 10 games under my belt I have worked with people who have 1)horrible mechanics 2)neer been to a clinic 3)have only officialed at the local YMCA 4) first year guys. Only one game did I work with someone who was able to make me a better official, he does some NAIA games.

Here is my problem, I am trying on getting a better grasp of the rules, communication with the other official, all the stuff a first year guy needs to work on. Unfortantly, I have faced a myriad of problems, guys calling my line, not reporting the foul to the table, telling the wrong team color on a foul, lining up a free throw at the wrong end, showing up late, mechanics so bad that I don't know what hell is going on. My major concern is that some of these guys are causing me to get into situations where I am starting to get bad habits.

I know that I could have prevented alot of this stuff by helping out my partner, but like I said I am ten games in and I am still pretty green.

Any advice?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
Now that I have about 10 games under my belt I have worked with people who have 1)horrible mechanics 2)neer been to a clinic 3)have only officialed at the local YMCA 4) first year guys. Only one game did I work with someone who was able to make me a better official, he does some NAIA game....
...I know that I could have prevented alot of this stuff by helping out my partner, but like I said I am ten games in and I am still pretty green.

Any advice?
Rookie,
You sound confident enough to me to initiate communication with whomever your partner is for the evening.
Pre-game, when you can. Chat when you can. Make non-threatening suggestions in the form of questions like "Why do you think they want us to do...?" Or make statements like "I really like the mechanic that says....", or "We really screwed that up!" or "We looked bad when we...."

Good luck. Don't let a partner pull you down. Keep working hard, and no matter how bad your partner is, don't stretch your game "Too far" into his area in an attempt to cover his faults.

mick
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile A Quality Association

Probably the best thing that happened to me my rookie year was one Saturday when I showed up for my youth games and my partner was a very experienced varsity ref (and evaluator). I was surprised to see him, but he explained that he often does a short stint on Saturdays to work the stiffness out.

Every timeout and intermission was a lesson for me. Why did we have a double whistle? Where was I watching? Next time report like.... It was great!

I talked about it to a board member of our association and finally this year they put in a plan "strongly encouraging" their senior officals to work at least one Saturday each month in youth ball with an inexperienced official.

They also started a mentoring program this year. Three times an evaluator will work a Frosh game with the mentee, then evaluate the mentee with a senior official during the JV game, then the mentor and senior official work the varsity game. The mentee is required to stay at least through the half-time discussions of the varsity game.

It really pays to find a quality association (like http://www.home.ereferee.com/ncoa/)!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 11:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

You have to understand this......

most officials that you work with are not going to be very good. They are either just starting themselves or they are doing games with you because they are not very good. What you need to do every game is have a good pregame. No matter who the official is, experienced or not experienced. You should run it and if the other official shows some resistense, tell him/her this is mainly for your benefit. Take charge and at least go over things that you should, it will help you become a better official, and it might get you more respect.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Okay, so far I am getting great advice, but since I have never been through a pre-game, what exactly should this consist of?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Smile great pre-game card!!

Rookie,

Check this link out. This is a pregame card for two-man mechanics. It can be printed so that it is completely on one sheet of paper.

Make some copies of it to take to games with you. Sit down with your partner and go over it together. The information on this is invaluable. (that means good...)

good luck

http://www.carroll.com/p/levinson/PreGameCard2.pdf

Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 11:11am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: great pre-game card!!

Big Dave,
Nice Find!
Thanks
mick
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Pre-Game Card

Big Dave

The website with the pre-game card is awesome .... Now if you are able to get your partner to the game at least 20-30 minutes in advance you could thoroughly cover it all.

As a 2nd yr official, I really appreciate all the assistance offered here!!
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
All good advice. One other thing. Remeber that you are only in charge of what you can do. Get yourself a good mentor and have him come out and evaluate you a few times. Try to get some JV games that have varsity after words. The Varsity officials can give you some excellent advice on what you need to work on. Then stick around for the varsity and see what they game should be called like.