The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

That time of the year now and many rookies starting to call their first games. I worked with one this week which I am sure in time will become a good ump seemed to have pretty good knowledge of rules and the game but mechanics and timing was not there yet. Once at the BU close banger play at 1st he had the hammer up 15' before the ball got to F3 on another DP he just stood there with the hammer up and no verbal for both outs. Myself not being that long ago when I was in the same shoes (4yrs) and will be there again this year starting fast pitch would just try to go over the basics and try to remind the rook to take his time and try not to over think

This also reminded me of something that happen long, long time ago when I was playing little league and we had an ump that would call out Strike or Ball 20' before the ball got to the plate. Didnt know it then but now I bet this guy was a rookie too.

Anyway for you vet guys any good advice you want to gave when working with rookies in an actual game that you think should be discussed with rookies and also in trying to handle the game and the rookie at the same time a game is going on

Have a good one

Don
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don.......Next week starts my Associations 17th Annual Umpires Tournament........

Our Association uses this as a training tool for New Umpires.......it is a great way to get some games in before the regular season starts...........we have 40 some odd teams registered from 10U through 18U.........we limit the number of teams to be able to get the tournament done in a reasonable amount of time..........AND because we umpires all donate our time for the tournament......

It is really a win/win for all involved..........the Coaches get to look at their teams before League ball starts and get to play a few games (reduced tournament fee) and the Veterans all work with the rookies to get them ready for the regular season.......and we raise some early season funds for one of the Cities that our in our District (We rotate every year).........

If you see something grossly wrong with a mechanic or what might become a bad habit with the rookie........It is ok to have a friendly chat between inning........you don't want to overwhealm them with information during the game though......only use this on gross problems.......

After the game............do a "Post Game" with them.........

Some are more receptive than others.........but most will listen.......I know I was grateful for any advice I recieved from some of the more experienced umps in our group when I fist started.

If they are totally unresponsive to any of your pointers and suggestions............let your UIC know.......

Joel
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

One Caveat though.......!!!!!

The last couple of years........I seemed to have gotten an innordinant amount of games with 1st year umpires......

I asked my schedular about that last night and was told that I had a "good influence" on the rookies.........and my games with them "seemed to have fewer problems".........

Don't get me wrong.........I enjoy working with and training the newer guys and gals........but, I still like working with the "Big Dawgs" more than a few games a year........and then only in late tournament games........

We have a large number of rookies this year.........and our Association policy is to not have a rookie work a game with another rookie.........so I guess I will still have another year of teaching..................

Maybe post-season will come quicker this year.............grin

Joel

Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Screw up a few rookies, Joel, and they'll lighten your teaching load to put you in games with the big guns in order to straighten you out

Just kidding... my guess is you're a born teacher. And, that is a good thing!

To the point of this thread, the thing I had the most problems with my first year was timing. Teach 'em it's OK to wait a beat or two to be sure of your call before you make it.