The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
This should be part of every pre-game meeting with the coaches.
Why?

"If I am ever asked to go for help, it will only because the coach used the "magic words", that include, perhaps your view was blocked, would you mind asking your partner if he saw there was a tag, etc.
Why?

The only thing I would ever ask my partner would be the specific question that coach asked, but ONLY if coach asked the right question.
Why?

I would never go to my partner and ask, "What do you have?". I would also never answer that question if my partner came to me and asked me that question.
Why?[b]
Why not "Partner, did you see anything that would make the call different"?
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
This should be part of every pre-game meeting with the coaches.
"Coach if you have a question about a call, request TIME and then go to the umpire who made the call. . ."
That has not been part of my pregame in the 32+ years I have umpired, nor do I expect it will ever be. Some areas teach that, some don't. I won't teach it, and won't use it. I don't personally believe that it is necessary to set the tone of any game with how to act when you disagree with a call. If a coach approaches the wrong umpire because he doesn't know any better, then (and only then) will I point him in the right direction.

If I have reason to doubt my call, I won't expect a magic combination of words; I will go for help. If I have confidence in my call, his magic combination suggesting I missed something would need to be somewhat supported as (at least) as possibility. If he just wants a second opinion, well, I don't really care, he isn't getting one.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
That has not been part of my pregame in the 32+ years I have umpired, nor do I expect it will ever be. Some areas teach that, some don't. I won't teach it, and won't use it. I don't personally believe that it is necessary to set the tone of any game with how to act when you disagree with a call. If a coach approaches the wrong umpire because he doesn't know any better, then (and only then) will I point him in the right direction.

If I have reason to doubt my call, I won't expect a magic combination of words; I will go for help. If I have confidence in my call, his magic combination suggesting I missed something would need to be somewhat supported as (at least) as possibility. If he just wants a second opinion, well, I don't really care, he isn't getting one.
I agree as well that no umpire should use that as part of his plate meeting with the coaches, for much the same reason that you have already stated. For some reason, when I am working with a partner that uses that speil, I cringe at the sound of the words.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
. . . If I have confidence in my call, his magic combination suggesting I missed something would need to be somewhat supported as (at least) as possibility. If he just wants a second opinion, well, I don't really care, he isn't getting one.
This is exactly what I was meant.