View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Helping a coach ask for help

14U ASA rules; decent teams. 2 umpire crew. I was watching the game.

R1 advancing from 2B to 3B. Throw comes in to F5, who catches the throw and brings her glove down for the tag. R1 clearly slides into the glove and then to the base. Clear out. BU, who (IMO) has lazy mechanics (I never did see him hustle at all; he merely walked - not even that fast - where ever he went to get into "position" for the call) finds himself out of position and cannot possibly see the slide / tag. He calls the runner safe. DC has a clear view of the play from the 1B dugout, comes out to discuss the call. He approaches the PU. (PU, BTW, had a great view of the play.) PU tells the coach it was not his call, but if BU "wants to give it up, he can. Go talk to the BU."

I suspected that as soon as he said that, there is no way the BU would "give up his call." Which he angrily confirmed to the coach.

Comments on how PU handled this? Would it have been inappropriate to, instead, have said something like, "It was BU's call. You can tell him what you saw and request that he ask for help." ?