The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Looking for new chest protector

Im looking for a new chest protector for varsity level FP. Ive narrowed it down to the Honig's K5 and Davis-Wilson Protector (not the one identical to the Diamond IX3). Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.theofficialcall.com/CP-DUX.htm

Been very happy with it.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat May 13, 2006, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

I have been using the Pro 9 chest protector for a couple of seaason now and been very pleased with it. I've used it for high school on through men's majors in softball and even used it for high school and legion baseball.

I don't see the Honig model as being quite as good. My choice came down to the Davis model and the Pro 9. Since I got a far better price with the Pro 9, that's the way I went. From what I've heard, the Davis is just as good and the Honigs model is just a step below.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

I am real happy with my Honigs K 2 Fastpitch Elite chest protector which is designed exclusively for F.P. softball..It is really light weight and gives protection for the shoulder/collar bone area and sternum area.I was one of the "old school diehards" that have umpired without a chest protector for years.I like the Honigs K 2 because it gives me the protection where I need it without be restrictive.I lot of guys I umpire with use the "Ump"by Bodyguard Products which is a nice light weight CP as well.I work varsity high school,Division 3 College,and upper level girls and women ASA games and this CP does a great job.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Lite weight Armor Pro Model

Best I ever had
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for new chest protector-73_1.jpg  
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_bawls
Best I ever had
Change the blue pads to black and it looks identical to the Pro 9.

I got this one because of the hard shell caps on the shoulders - before taking a couple of fouls, I was very satisfied with "the Ump".
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I use the:
AU21/BB3000 - Plus POS Ultra-Armor Chest Protector
$169.95 for baseball and the The UMP Lightweight Chest Protector
$99.00 for softball. These have also been used at a college level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Im looking for a new chest protector for varsity level FP. Ive narrowed it down to the Honig's K5 and Davis-Wilson Protector (not the one identical to the Diamond IX3). Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I have really liked this one since I bought it a couple of years ago.

Old Sun May 14, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've got the Davis chest protector that Duke has also. Does a very nice job.
Cool and lightweight, plus the velcro straps around the upper arms really help to keep it in place. Highly recomend it.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
I am real happy with my Honigs K 2 Fastpitch Elite chest protector which is designed exclusively for F.P. softball..It is really light weight and gives protection for the shoulder/collar bone area and sternum area...I like the Honigs K 2 because it gives me the protection where I need it without be restrictive.
I also use the K2, but I am thinking about replacing it, probably before next season. I've used it for 3 years. I agree about all of the advantages Jeff lists, which is why I bought it in the first place. Very light, very cool, nearly invisible beneath your shirt (except for the shoulder area.)

Excellent shoulder-area protection. Excellent sternum protection. Little to none elsewhere, which is my concern with it. I'm not worried about the lack of belly protection, since a hit there can be painful, but rarely will it be anything serious. My concern is the lack of good protection for the upper chest / rib cage - meaning heart area. There is some half-a$$ed attempt at padding there, but it is really minimal.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I have been using the UMP for many years and really like it. I use it to do DI softball. I tried the honigs k5 once. I felt too exposed. JMO
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

After using the All-Star for many years, this season I switched. After trying virtually every chest protector out there, I narrowed down my choices to either the Pro Nine that Steve mentioned, or the Champion that Blu Bawls shows. They are virtually the same chest protector, offering the best protection of any out there for the higher levels of ball. (serious varsity and NCAA.) I decided, largely on the cost difference, to go with the Champion. However, you couldn't go wrong with either of these chest protectors.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone used the Schutt Kool chest protector? I used it once and really liked it, would prefer if I had one slightly larger.....long story but my partner really loved it and wanted me to try hers.....following the game when she saw how much I sweat she didn't think it was such a good idea but anyway does anyone else out there have any experience with it? I liked it it fit snug (ya it was at least 1 if not 2 sizes too small) and seemed to have less limiting feel than the UMP that I have used for years.

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Wed May 17, 2006 at 09:34am.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

My problem with the Ump is the same as what I had with my old All Star. Not near enough protection for the collar bone and shoulders in the higher levels when you take that hard foul shot. The Pro Nine and Champion have hard plastic plates sandwiched between low rebound foam, and the hard shoulder pads. I took a shot off of it in a college game this season and was thankful that I had it.

I will still use my All Star, due to the coolness and lightness of it, in 14U ball. (maybe.) The Champion isn't all that much heavier, though it is a little hotter.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Skahtboi said
"My problem with the Ump is the same as what I had with my old All Star. Not near enough protection for the collar bone and shoulders in the higher levels when you take that hard foul shot. The Pro Nine and Champion have hard plastic plates sandwiched between low rebound foam, and the hard shoulder pads."

That is exactly why I went with the Pro 9. I went with it AFTER taking a foul off of the top of the shoulder while using the Ump (that I had been using for more than 10 years) - and that one hurt a lot more than I'm willing to take.