The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Question

I'm looking for Santa(Mrs. BigUmp) to bring me a new hard shell protector for Christmas. Tee had just about convinced me to get a Carlucci. Then I found this one on the Honig's web site and wanted to know if any of you are familiar with it.

Thanks,

Tim.

Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite........

An Umpire in my association has one....I've seen it and it seems perfectly serviceable......

Not sure what they run, but at the prices I remember ($150+) the top of the line WV, Honigs and +POS were available.....

Bottom line for me is that if I was not going to save a bunch of money then I'd go with a more well known and used brand......... I do admit to having a brand preference, but the vastly greater amount of experiences and references available on the others (WV, Honigs, +POS) than on these lesser known types would influence me ...

Stan

[Edited by piaa_ump on Nov 8th, 2005 at 02:10 PM]
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 02:20pm

Quote:
Originally posted by orangeump
I dont even wear a chest protector, so I really cannot help you here. Sorry.
What, er....sport do you officiate? T-Ball?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

i cant say anything for that specific chest protector, but it looks a few levels below that of the carlucci you are also thinking about. quite different ends of the spectrum. i dont have a carlucci, but from what ive read from tim and other sites, its a damn good product specially made for you. its an investment. if you dont go with one of those, id look into a WV platinum, and maybe a honigs K1 (i think thats their big seller one) after that. i have a +POS BB2000, which i do like, but not a lot of people like it because of its breathability issues and it is a bit bulky to some.

as for THE UMP brand, i once saw a guy wearing the soft version of that protector. im not sure what level it was made to be would be used for, but it looked to give the same amount of protection that wearing 2 sweatshirts might provide.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 07:01pm

Tim,

Check out the +POS BB500 from their website. Apparently it's a new addition. It looks similar to the All-American Pro model, but has the +POS logo. It features 5/8" closed-cell padding, and appears to be lightweight. It comes in 3 sizes, including a 17 inch model for us huge guys! It only costs $99, making it a good value IMO. If I work next season, I'm getting one.

Steve

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Thank's Brian

The +POS BB2000 is the protector I'm planning to replace. It's just too bulky and hot. I use the K1-Elite for the 60' diamond already. I tried it several times for 18U ball and got hammered each time I used it. Not enough protection there IMO for the big diamond.

Like I said, Tee has almost convinced me to spend the extra $$$ for the Carlucci.

Tim.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thank's Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

Like I said, Tee has almost convinced me to spend the extra $$$ for the Carlucci.

Tim.
Tee shouldnt have to convince you.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've been trying on several different chest protectors for the last 2 years. I'm way past strike three with them except for one. I have a former minor league umpire friend who let me try on his Carlucci model and it fit me perfect. Tee has also urged me to call Carlucci. Either that or figure out a way to talk my friend out of his.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

When dealing with Cece... always remember that it isnt a quick call and order. Its a 2 to 3 hour conversation not just with the equipment but its rules among other things. Cece will talk your ear off but its always a lot of fun with him on the phone.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I believe he is in his 80's or so. Will everything continue well into the future with others taking over making his equipment if he is no longer able to?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

No, as far as I know of, once Cece passes his children will not be continueing his work. Honestly I think its a shame since the Carlucci product is superior to just about everything else with the fact that it will be adjusted and fixed and such for the life of the protector or Cece himself... which ever comes first.

This is all hear-say anyways since I havent talked to Cece in person since 1999. Best to call and talk to him first and find out (and remember, be prepared to stay on the phone for about 2 hrs... just for that question alone)
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

So, are you saying that it might be faster to talk my friend out of his?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I know you won't listen to me, but the West Vest Platinum is the best protector I've ever seen or worn. It fit's like a glove, the pads can be washed and it'll take anything that is headed your way. There's a pretty good reason why it's used by so many of the MLB guys.

The Carlucci takes a long time to make and it does the same thing as the other top models. Save the money that you would spend on it and get newer plate shoes. Those will make a bigger difference in how you feel at the end of the day. A good catcher will keep you from getting hit, but you still have to stay on your feet all day.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Funny as it sounds, yeh, it might take less time to talk your friend out of getting a Carlucci then actually buying one. For all you carlucci people... like myself... (I want one really badly) Im not harping on him... so dont worry.

My two cents are the WV Gold. just LOVE IT!
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

BigUmp 56,

I have a brand new All-American Hardshell (exactly like the new + POS BB500 picture above (except in navy), worn only 2 times. I used it as a backup to my Riddell Power. If you want it, I'll give it to you for $50.00 - that's half price for what I paid for it. Email me at [email protected]

[Edited by Sal Giaco on Nov 11th, 2005 at 01:47 PM]