The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I am looking for a new chest protector for next season. I was looking in to buying a West Vest. I have heard many people give good reviews of them, but they only come in one size. The only one that comes in 2 sizes is the professional, but they are 12 or 13.5 inches. I am tall and 13 inches isn't enough protection for me. Why are they not made in a variety of sizes? Do you have any recommendations?
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
LDUB,

I currently use the West Vest original and I LOVE it. I am tall as well and the 13.5 inch works perfectly for me. I would highly recommend ordering one, adjust the straps to the desired tightness, and see if it will work for you.

If the West Vest is not an option, +POS has a solid chest protector as well. It is called the BB2000 Umpire Armor. I have used this product as well in the past and it has worked really well for me also.

Here are some website addresses to use to check out the chest protectors I have recommended.

http://www.gerrydavis.com & http://www.pluspos.com

Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen the +POS BB2000 and that was the other I was considering. Also if anyone is consiering odering a West Vest, the original can be purchased here for only $70. Although it is out of stock currently, it is expected to be in stock on 01/15/04.

http://www.wasupply.com/EADINhome.as...CaID=11&AtID1=
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I use the BB2000 and I have to say it is the hottest protector I've ever used. But the level of protection is unsurpassed, in my opinion.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree with Jim about the BB2000. I also use one and it gives great protection. I am considering buying a lighter one to use for games with less need for protection.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Wink Jim's right...

BB2000 is hot, but you don't feel crap when wacked. I've seen some newer models that are a bit different in the chest plate anchor system(got mine the 2cd year they sold em, 125.00) Only prob with mine is the Ny-Ties for the shoulder guards, got plenty of those at work, rebuild that baby!!!!!!!!
What I think is best is the flexibility of the protector. Rigid outside caps and soft, flexible underlining. My 12.5(not available anymore) tucks up under mymask and covers hardbone rib cage, Honigs single bar with the "cow-catcher" built in.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I am finishing my second season with my Cooper UMP1000. I have taken some nasty shots to it and felt very, very little to nothing. I have it as tight as I can get it and as I sweat and drop pounds it will slide down a little and it looks wide but other than that it is pretty light, very cool and has a removable pad that snaps off for washing.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have an All American Sports (WPAA37 Pro Vest Model)?

I saw a model that looked like it would provide good protection, but it also seemed hot.

Jay
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
All American

I've seen the All American model. For the same %% I'd shop around and buy the Wilson WV MLU or the original WV that in the link above.

I wish All American would come out w/ a single bar version of their mask. Their double bar is very light and very comfortable.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 06:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You think the +POS offers more protection than the WV? How?

Rich
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

LDUB, I have used the +POS BB2000 for the passed three years and have take soom real shots with collage and semi-pro wood bat pitchers. I'm talkin' 80 mph fast balls. That's when you become a believer. One of my parters took a shot in the chest while wearing a "light weight, cool" vest and I saw him double over for five minutes. The bruise on his chest was probably the size of a soccer ball within two days.

On the other hand, I had three game series in Reno two weeks ago. Another one of my partners had a brand new BB2000. He said it seemed too heavy and was going to send it back. Unexpectedly, he had to do the plate. Wouldn't you know it, he took a shot in the left shoulder. I was U1 in the 'A' position and heard the crack like I was standing next to him. He didn't even flinch. He called ball four and stepped back and gave B1 first base.

Later, Paul said to me, "what a lesson. I would never send this life saver back."

True story. Take it for what it is worth.

[Edited by wpiced on Aug 22nd, 2003 at 12:59 AM]
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Again, what makes this superior to a WV? I'm really interested in knowing. I'm on my second WV (first one lasted 7 years) and wouldn't consider anything else, UNLESS someone who knows both could convince me otherwise.

Rich
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Jim's right...

re:
BB2000 is hot, but you don't feel crap when wacked.
Only prob with mine is the Ny-Ties for the shoulder guards, got plenty of those at work, rebuild that baby!!!!!!!!

Yup, this puppy can be hot (but it can be incorporated as a good weight control program) otherwise it is one solid unit.

As far as rebuilding it, try using "heavy-duty boot laces" in place of those nylon ties. Did this to mine and what a difference in mobility, it really loosened up the shoulder joints and forms itself to the body better. jmo
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Again, what makes this superior to a WV?"

Let's see...protection? No.

Cooler? Nope.

Customer service? HA HA HA HA, Giggle, Snort, Guffaw.

Beats me.

Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Garth.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Again, what makes this superior to a WV?"

Let's see...protection? No.

Cooler? Nope.

Customer service? HA HA HA HA, Giggle, Snort, Guffaw.

Beats me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Too funny!!!! Personally, I find the BB2000 better cuz I already have paid for the damn thing! WV appears better at the lower shots, but +pOS is more conforming to the body. Customer service??....not in POS languageand it is hot as hell....thank god for foggy days...