The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Coaches on the field

Have a coach who kept going out and getting in the pitchers ear during warm up pitches between innings (ASA fastpitch). It was slowing down the game. Told her last night that any time she crosses the baseline after play begins it counts as a trip to the mound.

She insisted I was wrong, told me she was a pitcher in college and her coach could come out and talk to her between innings, etc. She was a pretty good college pitcher, but I'm pretty sure she is wrong.

What rule covers this? Is it different in NCAA?
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
Have a coach who kept going out and getting in the pitchers ear during warm up pitches between innings (ASA fastpitch). It was slowing down the game. Told her last night that any time she crosses the baseline after play begins it counts as a trip to the mound.

She insisted I was wrong, told me she was a pitcher in college and her coach could come out and talk to her between innings, etc. She was a pretty good college pitcher, but I'm pretty sure she is wrong.

Actually, she can come out in both ASA and NCAA between innings and talk to the pitcher without penalty. (Also NFHS for those of you keeping score.) However, you, as the umpire, have another option at your disposal to keep the game moving. Remember, the pitcher has 1 minute from the last out to warm up, or five pitches, whichever comes first. Of course, there is no 1 minute thingy in NCAA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D

"It was slowing down the game." And that is in your control. I suggest you silently start a count after the third out is rung up, and tell the catcher to throw it down after 50 seconds. That is their one minute. If they still dawdle, and particularly if coach stays out there, say "play ball". If coach remains now, after ball is made live, you can (and should) charge a defensive conference. If team still delays, 6-3.M allows you to call a ball on the batter 20 seconds after you say "play ball".