The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
Reading your reply you legally could be calling strikes at the players ankles. You'd also be leading the league in ejections
LIIR - if the ball is coming in at a significant arc or has drop on it, and the batters are in the very back of the box, heck yeah you could legally be calling strikes at the players' ankles. It's not my job to move them up. If it takes ejections to get a coach who bothers to move the batters up, fine.

Are you saying you would not? Do you move your strikezone based on how far up or back the batter stands, or do you just screw the drop-ball pitcher? Which rule are you willfully ignoring here? Just curious.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The answer to "can a pitched ball be considered a strike when the batter does not swing and the ball hits the plate?" is no. The first answer above, when you asked if it ever could be a strike was "if the batter swings". Sorry that didn't cover the full answer and I commend you for following up and getting a straight answer along with all the theory, technicalities and tangents.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
...along with all the theory, technicalities and tangents.
Which we are quite good at elaborating on in long and tangled rabbit trails!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDsMom
This is the original poster. I thank you all for your patience in dealing with a novice like myself. I realize I am only a parent and not a professional as all of you but I like to know and understand the rules of the sports my kids are involved in. I have read your responses to the best of my ability. Now if someone can put this into layman's terms, can a pitched ball be considered a strike when the batter does not swing and the ball hits the plate? Remember these are 5th -7th grade girls (not travel) with a pitcher (my daughter) who is 10 years old and just starting to windmill pitch (which at times can mean a high arc). The batter also may or may not be standing completely adjacent to the plate (either more forward or back).

Again, to all the experts thank you for your time.
Have we now answered your question clearly?
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
LIIR - if the ball is coming in at a significant arc or has drop on it, and the batters are in the very back of the box, heck yeah you could legally be calling strikes at the players' ankles. It's not my job to move them up. If it takes ejections to get a coach who bothers to move the batters up, fine.

Are you saying you would not? Do you move your strikezone based on how far up or back the batter stands, or do you just screw the drop-ball pitcher? Which rule are you willfully ignoring here? Just curious.
My answer was based on FP scenario. Again I would say calling a strike below the knee is wrong and not fair to the player. Also at no time should a strike be called when it hits the plate.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My answer was based on FP scenario. Again I would say calling a strike below the knee is wrong and not fair to the player. Also at no time should a strike be called when it hits the plate.
The strike zone is over the plate, no matter where the batter stands. The armpits and knees define the height over the plate, and that is the strike zone. If the batter is in the back of the box and the pitch crosses the plate at an altitude higher than the batter's knees, it's a strike no matter how far it drops before it passes the batter. If the batter is in the front of the box and the pitch crosses the plate at an altitude lower than the batter's armpit, it's a strike no matter what part of the batter's body it passes in front of the plate or how far it drops before the plate. Not saying this is always easy to judge, but that is the rule and that is what we must try to call.

BTW, there were some comments a while back about not calling strikes "at the letters". I've checked every uniform for about 10 days and the letters are all below the armpits.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe (giving you the benefit of the doubt) you are missing the variable of where the batter is standing.

The strike zone remains next to the plate. The batter's ankles remain with the batter.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I've checked every uniform for about 10 days and the letters are all below the armpits.
Cute!

But, what about letters on the helmet?
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Cute!

But, what about letters on the helmet?
If the pitch passes where the letters say "Becca", it's a ball unless it's the seventh, home team leading big and it's raining.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you everyone. I am one of those parents who likes to know the rules and what is correct so I can reinforce these with my kids. So many parents think they know it all and pass along misinformation. This is a problem as the kids get older because more of the rules are enforced and the kids think they are right.

Thanks again. I certainly received more information than I bargained for! Seemed like you all enjoy a great debate.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDsMom
Thank you everyone. I am one of those parents who likes to know the rules and what is correct so I can reinforce these with my kids. So many parents think they know it all and pass along misinformation. This is a problem as the kids get older because more of the rules are enforced and the kids think they are right.

Thanks again. I certainly received more information than I bargained for! Seemed like you all enjoy a great debate.
Glad to have you on the forum. Hope to hear from you again.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
CLBuffalo,

Speaking of slow pitch... (must have 6 to 10 foot arch) Here in our town we have men's slow pitch tournament games on weekends where the umpires call strikes only if the ball touches the plate or the plate extention. The umpires don't even stand directly behind the catcher, but off to the side to see if the ball bounces off the plate or extention for the strike. It seems this strike zone must not be too common from what I observed from some of the complaints coming from the dugouts... "Hey blue the ball hit the #&^@#% plate! I spoke with one of the umpires and asked if he had a pre-game talk with the coaches about this strike zone and he said yes he did. I guess the coaches didn't make it clear to some on their players. They have another rule that also makes the job of umpiring easier. Each team is allowed only 1 over the fence home run, (300 feet). If a second home run comes the inning is over, even if they had no outs, plus the other team gets 2 runs. If a 3rd home run comes the inning is over , and the other team gets 3 runs...etc. etc. Sure changes the swing of the power hitters! It probably shortens the game too. ...Fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al
Ya, that mat ball. Crazy local rules. Ever call arena ball? Anything hit, as long as it stays within the fences is a live ball. Regular SP ASA play requires a 6-12 foot arch, passing over any part of the plate between the batters front knee and back shoulder as if the batter is standing even with the plate. The ball cannot touch the plate (Ball is called).