The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Had a game last night, 9th grade very poor level of play, and had the following situation occur: Batter swings way early on a pitch that wasn't even to the plate, the ball hit's the ground in front of the plate and then hit's the batter on her shin. I initially indicated the strike but then ruled that the pitch hit her outside the strike zone and awarded her 1rst base. I think I may have blown this call and wondered what y'all think? What would the proper ruling have been?
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Yup, you missed that one. That's a dead ball, strike. Your batter tried to hit the ball, that's a strike. And the ball hit her, that's a dead ball.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Steve, as I almost immediately realized I'd blow the call. Next time I won't!!!! Constantly learning:-)
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Learning By Blowing it.

I am finding ,as a 1st yr ump and Basketball official ,that I really learn stuff when i blow it then ask on here and other places what the real call should have been. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who blows calls then does their homework to get the correct answer. LOL
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

No matter what the experience or skill level, WE will still blow the occasional call - learn from that & don't make that particular mistake again.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Re: Learning By Blowing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I am finding ,as a 1st yr ump and Basketball official ,that I really learn stuff when i blow it then ask on here and other places what the real call should have been. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who blows calls then does their homework to get the correct answer. LOL
I have been officiating high school softball for 6 yrs. now, and I'm always learning especially on these bulletin boards. I had to learn everything on my own, as here in Michigan we don't have any mentors, but I do attend any clinic I can. There is no such thing as a stupid question!!! The key is reading and re-reading the rules, ask questions, do as many games as you can, and HAVE FUN!!!!