Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

That was an earlier post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Rodan said "Try 8.7.J and POE 33"
That was in an earlier post. When asked by Dakota for the rule, he said POE 33.

I've got a rule too. Its 8-7-J-4 which says interference with a deflected ball has to be intentional. These are two rules governing two different situations. One is with a batted ball; one with a deflected ball. The defense had an opportunity to make a play but failed to do so when the ball was deflected. Its true they still have a chance, but their protection is more limited now. Interference has to be intentional at this point. You can't ignore rule 8-7-J-4.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
That was in an earlier post. When asked by Dakota for the rule, he said POE 33.

I've got a rule too. Its 8-7-J-4 which says interference with a deflected ball has to be intentional. These are two rules governing two different situations. One is with a batted ball; one with a deflected ball. The defense had an opportunity to make a play but failed to do so when the ball was deflected. Its true they still have a chance, but their protection is more limited now. Interference has to be intentional at this point. You can't ignore rule 8-7-J-4.
This is about interfering with a fielder, not the ball.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

So is 8-7-4-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
This is about interfering with a fielder, not the ball.
8-7-J-4 is also interferring with a defender. 8-7-L is interferring with a ball.

Case Play 8.8-42 is on point.

R1 on 3B and R2 on 2B when B3 hits a ball to F5. The ball goes off of F5's glove and F6 tries to field the ball when R2 collides with F6. (a) As R2 tried to alter their path or (b) collides with F6 after having the opportunity to avoid F6 and make no attempt to avoid contact.

Ruling: (a) Live ball, no interference. (b) R2's actions are judged to be intentional. Dead ball, R2 is out, R1 returns to 3B, B3 awarded 1B.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesmael
Can a runner be called for interference with a fielder after the fielder just made an error and is in the process to recover the ball?

Batter hits a pop up down the first base line, pitcher goes to catch it in fair territory and misses it. now takes first or second step to get ball in foul territory and runner collides with pitcher.
This has to do with the same player who booted the ball making the play, I still think when this came up in the clinic, it was considered as the defense making a play and interference on the runner. Now, if it is off a fielder to another player as the casebook states, then yes it has to be intentional.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan55
This has to do with the same player who booted the ball making the play, I still think when this came up in the clinic, it was considered as the defense making a play and interference on the runner. Now, if it is off a fielder to another player as the casebook states, then yes it has to be intentional.
However, 8-7-J-4 says "any defensive player" this includes the one who booted the ball. I realize the case play indicates another fielder, however, the case book doesn't provide examples of all possible plays. I don't believe ASA makes a distinction. At least it doesn't in the wording of rule 8-7-J-4. Was this a national clinic or a local one? If this is what ASA wants, then I'll change my position. However, based on the wording of rule 8-7-J-4 I see no difference between the fielder who booted the ball and another fielder. I can't see penalizing the offense for a defensive mistake unless the offense intentionally interfered.

The problem is we have two rules that conflict with each other and the rulebook does not clearly delineate which one takes precedence.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
However, 8-7-J-4 says "any defensive player" this includes the one who booted the ball. I realize the case play indicates another fielder, however, the case book doesn't provide examples of all possible plays. I don't believe ASA makes a distinction. At least it doesn't in the wording of rule 8-7-J-4. Was this a national clinic or a local one? If this is what ASA wants, then I'll change my position. However, based on the wording of rule 8-7-J-4 I see no difference between the fielder who booted the ball and another fielder. I can't see penalizing the offense for a defensive mistake unless the offense intentionally interfered.

The problem is we have two rules that conflict with each other and the rulebook does not clearly delineate which one takes precedence.
National staff.

Response from Dave Epperson in Kansas,

Yes, as long as any defensive player has the possibility of getting an out.
Yes, the runner is responsible for not interfering, to and include running out of the baseline to avoid contact.

Last edited by rodan55; Wed May 10, 2006 at 02:02pm.