The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Working a mens League game this week and witnessed the following situation :
A1 and B1 started jawing a bit at each other and continued it to the foul line . My partner steps in before administering the free throw and tells the players to cut it out which I am fine with . He then proceeds to tell the players in a booming voice (and only 2 spectators in the stands) that this is his game and and he runs this court . He then asks Player A if he is going to listen to him and Player A says "yes" my partner then uses that booming voice to ask the same question of player B who has his head down and does not answer him . My partner then tells the player if he does not answer him that he will send him to the bench for the rest of the game . Player B then in a low voice says "yeah" to which my partner says "I can't hear you" and finally Player B says it loud enough to comply with my partners request .
I understand that this being a men's league game there is a lot more leeway in game management but to be quite honest I found my partner to be extremely arrogant . I did not bring it up to him afterwards because I don't feel I will be able to change his personality .
Without being there do you think my partners words and actions as I have described them were consistent with mens league game management ? Would you have addressed my partner after the game if you thought he was off base ?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
Without being there do you think my partners words and actions as I have described them were consistent with mens league game management ? Would you have addressed my partner after the game if you thought he was off base ?
No.
No.
Get in, get done, get out.
mick
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:33am
Huck Finn

IMHO, I would not address him because I have found that many refs are more concerned with the power/arrogance involved with officiating than getting better. You can have both to some extent but many times suggestions/constructive critism isn't welcomed. I like this type of feedback because it is always a good thing to know what the norm is for a particular conference/league.
As far as what he said to the players, it really isn't needed. I have said something similar to a HS player before but it was never said so everyone can hear it. For a men's league I would tell them to stop and then I would handle business. A warning isn't always the thing to do either depending on how severe the situation.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Men's league work can be enjoyable with hard work by the officials and the players. But remember, the players are grown men even if they do not act like it.

As an official, if you try to treat these men like children you may be inviting an @ss whoopin. I have had a partner that works as you described in your sitch and he did push too far with his style, got a busted lip and bruised pride as a result. Luckily, those who felt disrespected did not confuse me for my partner but when the tensions erupted it became a bit scary for a minute.

For sure I would talk to him about his dictatorial style. If not for the profession, then for my own personal saftey when I am on the same floor!

Once again, too much talking by an official! WHACK, once for attention, twice for effect!
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Give your partner the opportunity to hear the constructive feedback that could help him in future situations. Remember, most people don't remember a specific ref., and only remember the Ref's (us) in general.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Men's league work can be enjoyable with hard work by the officials and the players. But remember, the players are grown men even if they do not act like it.

As an official, if you try to treat these men like children you may be inviting an @ss whoopin. I have had a partner that works as you described in your sitch and he did push too far with his style, got a busted lip and bruised pride as a result. Luckily, those who felt disrespected did not confuse me for my partner but when the tensions erupted it became a bit scary for a minute.

For sure I would talk to him about his dictatorial style. If not for the profession, then for my own personal saftey when I am on the same floor!

Once again, too much talking by an official! WHACK, once for attention, twice for effect!
Would you scream like that at a child?

Ed Rush put this up on a black board at a camp:

P....P
A....A
C....C

The P stands for parent, A is adult, C is child. The first column is the official the second is the player/coach.

In an ideal game all communication is A to A. If the player or coach drops to C, the official needs to move to P. If they act like a child, you should act like a parent, not a drill instructor.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

this is my gaame.

I feel that he was out of line with his tactics. This is not his game. He is to keep the game in line, but does not run the court. He just should have addressed the player to perform in a sportmans like way and move on..

You have some officals who take some situation to an extreme. They in some situation they think they are the game.

I think this is the short of it.

Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 04:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

I think your partner has been watching too much Judge Judy.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked city league games where the other ref tell me before the game starts, "If you don't take charge of this floor, the game will quickly get out of control." On some courts, this type of action is necessary.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I have worked city league games where the other ref tell me before the game starts, "If you don't take charge of this floor, the game will quickly get out of control." On some courts, this type of action is necessary.
Taking charge means yell at a grown man like you are the playground bully? Hmmmm, city league or not (as if the 'burbs are any different) an official can control the floor in a more professionally prescribed manner, don't ya think?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Would you rather bully and have peace or not bully and have fighting?

I work alot of summer league games with a bulley official. It's not a style that I like or mimic, but we haven't had an altercation yet.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: this is my gaame.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref_ Fred
This is not his game. He is to keep the game in line, but does not run the court.
Welcome to the forum, Fred. I'm going to disagree with this part of your post. I agree that the official handled the situation badly.

But when I step on the court, it is my court and my game. Nothing happens for the next hour and a half unless I allow it, or penalize it. That may sound arrogant, but it's the truth, isn't it? The official controls the court during the game.

Now, the question is how you exercise that control. I agree that this official didn't not use a good technique. But you have to go onto the court thinking that you run the court. If you don't, then you're inviting trouble. JMO.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Would you rather bully and have peace or not bully and have fighting?

I work alot of summer league games with a bulley official. It's not a style that I like or mimic, but we haven't had an altercation yet.
If it works for you.....fine.

Just wondering why the need to "bully" at all and stir the pot risking provocation; why not just whack the actors using the tools of the trade? I will never endorse the "bully" mentality as I have seen it erupt even in the most mundane situations. Perhaps this type of guy is relagated to working rec ball and the myth of rec ball being inferior will continue partly due to this type of official's unprofessional demeanor.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

There's an old adage of officiating I heard from Ed Hightower - "Be in control of the game without controlling the game". There's a difference.