The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Our home Dixie Softball league 8U utilizes a pitching machine after four (4) walks. Does ASA, LL, or other association use this rule? If so, how do you handle removing a poor fielding pitcher for a better fielding pitcher in this situation?
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Seems awfully time consuming. I am assuming that there is a kid pitcher until four batters are walked. Is this per inning, or per game? Then they have to roll out a pitching machine, set it correctly and continue with the game?

I have seen leagues that use all pitching machines at this level, and I have seen leagues that use a combination of kid/coach pitch. You may want to suggest this latter combination for next year. It can be something like the kid pitches until four have walked, and then the coach comes in and pitches to the remainder of the batters, each batter having no more than 5 pitches which they can put into play. Another way of doing the kid/coach combination is that the kid pitcher throws three pitches, where they can strike a batter out only if they are really good.(This helps lead to skills development) Then the count carries over to the coach, who can throw two pitches. What happens here is that the kid pitcher can "strike out" a batter by having their count carry over to the coach pitcher. For example, the kid pitcher throws three pitches, one a ball and two for strikes. When the coach comes out, the batter has a 1-2 count on her. If she looks at the first pitch, she in theory has a 2-2 count and can have another pitch tossed to her which she must either put into play or be called out on. If, on the other, the batter had swung at the first pitch from the coach, then a strikeout is recorded to the kid pitcher.

Does all of this make sense, or have I thoroughly confused you?

Scott

[Edited by Skahtboi on May 20th, 2003 at 10:13 AM]
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Oh...and as for removing the poor fielding pitcher. Not your job. That is purely the coach's domain. If you have some concerns that the girl may get hurt, you can call time and address those concerns to the coach.

Scott
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Our home Dixie Softball league 8U utilizes a pitching machine after four (4) walks. Does ASA, LL, or other association use this rule? If so, how do you handle removing a poor fielding pitcher for a better fielding pitcher in this situation?
The heck with that... how can I get this rule implemented into our high school JV games?
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I would love to use the pitching machine the first half of the season then pitcher/coach pitch scenario the second half. The games tend to drag and the girls don't learn the fundamentals. Only one team has a decent pitcher. Since we only play two games a week, the same pitcher usually has enough innings to pitch both games.

The 10U division in our league has a local rule that restricts the number of walks per inning to 4 per team. After 4 walks the pitcher can throw unlimited pitches until the batter strikes out or hits the ball.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

ABZ:

Glad to (hopefully) be of help. I sure hope for your sake that you have a run limit per inning, like say no more than 5! Have you ever purposed to the league what you said here? If you haven't, you may be surprised at the reaction you get. They could be looking for a way to speed up the game and increase the overall enjoyment for everyone as well, but they just don't know how to go about it.

Good luck!

Scott
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

In the 6U division, for the first two innings we bat eight batters. The next two innings it is a max of 8 batters or 3 outs.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]
The heck with that... how can I get this rule implemented into our high school JV games? [/B][/QUOTE]

Dang rights! And can we do anything about the lacking capabilities of catchers. I was working a district championship game last week (Varsity) and got hit 6 times: twice in the crotch of my left arm (no padding there); once on the front of my left thigh and into my cup (thank God for the cup); once underneath my left thigh (again no padding); once in the chest (Thank-you Honigs); and once the ball somehow bounced from the dirt into the catcher and straight up into my chin behind my mask (don't think Honigs could help on that one).

Signed, bruised.

Old Tue May 20, 2003, 05:58pm
In Time Out

Talking

D.T. Tony B., sounds like you have encountered that other position player I call "retriever". You know, the person initially positioned between the plate and the plate umpire that retrieves the balls the pitcher throws after they stop at the backstop.

I must be lucky, most of those around here are U10. And isn't it fun to work behind a good catcher?