View Single Post
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Question on single umpire mechanics

I know single umpire mechanics has a lot of limitations, especially with pick off throws to the bases. Here is what I did. Anyone have any suggestions on what I did wrong, or what I could have done better?

R1 on 3rd. Passed ball goes out on the third base side of home. Expecting the runner, and wanting to stay out of the way of the play from F2, I exit right and position myself with as near a 90 degree angle as I can - basically 3rd base line extended. R1 has started to come home, changes her mind and attempt to return to 3rd. I'm blocked up the base line by F1 covering home. I move up the 1st base line to try to get an angle, but am completely blocked by F5 standing in the infield. F6 comes over for the play, and it certainly appears to me that she got there in time to take the throw and make a tag on the diving R1. But, I could see nothing, so I called SAFE. D coach was displeased, but understood that I was blocked.

If I had exited left (as normal) I could have seen the play at 3rd but would have been in the way of a possible play at home.

Any suggestions / corrections?