The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
... here in TN. that's what the catcher is called.
I thought the term was an older term because it was what my dad used. That's why I liked it. But perhaps your observation is right. He was from TN.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
My dad was from TN, and I also grew up hearing this terminology used for the catcher.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
...And then the clueless board of directors wonders why their sign-up numbers go down each year...
They're all signing up to play in that other sport, where everyone is always showing outstanding sportsmanship and calm demeanor; parents never become outrageous, coaches are always nice, and the officials are respected at all times.

You know... Communist Kickball (aka Fútbol).
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
They're all signing up to play in that other sport, where everyone is always showing outstanding sportsmanship and calm demeanor; parents never become outrageous, coaches are always nice, and the officials are respected at all times.

You know... Communist Kickball (aka Fútbol).
Yeah, sounds more like what I know as a coma.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I tried Communist Kickball

I gave it a try in the late 1980's. I followed a local JC team. I went to their games, home and most away. They were a Top 5 program in the sate. I tried to appreciate the nuances and all the other blah,blah,blah. Bottom line -it was boring.
Now I have a theory on why kids play kickball versus softball/baseball. Bottom line it's pretty easy . Kick the ball.run after the ball, kick the ball, stand there and take a break. repeat. Now softball requies catching, throwing, and hitting. Not easy. Parents have to spend time teaching their kids these very difficult skills. For whatever reasons parents these days are swamped and these skills take time to develop. So throw my kid on the grass, let them run around, hoot and hollar, and wha la my kids an athlete. Or I thow hours and hours of grounders, batting practice etc and maybe my kid will be sucessfull 3/4 times out of ten.

Just my opinion.....
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Now I have a theory on why kids play kickball versus softball/baseball. Bottom line it's pretty easy . Kick the ball.run after the ball, kick the ball, stand there and take a break. repeat. Now softball requies catching, throwing, and hitting. Not easy. Parents have to spend time teaching their kids these very difficult skills. For whatever reasons parents these days are swamped and these skills take time to develop. So throw my kid on the grass, let them run around, hoot and hollar, and wha la my kids an athlete. Or I thow hours and hours of grounders, batting practice etc and maybe my kid will be sucessfull 3/4 times out of ten.

Just my opinion.....
I agree with this at the very young levels (10U and younger, maybe even include 12U). But, above that, they players do need to develop skill. But, my theory is not skill per se, but rather the fact that a skillless player can blend in on a kickball team, and does not have to stand, by herself, at the plate, and have her lack of skill out there for everyone to see. IOW, self-esteem!
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

In central VA where I lived for about ten years they called the catcher the backstop though I have heard hind catcher as well

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I think you need to do two things.

First, there needs to be a meeting between whoever is responsible for the coaches and the coaches themselves, reminding them that their behavior toward umpires should be an example to their children (6-year olds are just learning this sort of thing) of how to respect authority, and also telling them that they should always be in the frame of mind of teaching these children - not just how to play physically, but how to play mentally, and that even if the umpires are dead wrong on something, their tirades are more detrimental to their kids than the poor call was in the first place.

Second, someone from your board needs to watch some of this lady's games and perhaps her practices. Her behavior in front of these kids is reprehensible.

As an aside - I think you took too much crap from her. If she managed to stay in the game somehow, you should have tossed her when she made the sexist comment, even if the game was over. Intimating that an umpire is intentionally throwing calls for ANY reason should be addressed by the board before she can return to coaching.

PS --- two umpires for TEE BALL!?!?! Wow.
Hey mcrowder,

Tonight I was informed that the man who told the coach from the pit to get back into the dugout, had passed away suddenly Saturday afternoon while fishing. He was the head coaches father. I thought that was probably the case by the way she listened to him when he loudly told her to get into the dugout after she started with that sexist talk. After the game on Thursday he told me he was not pleased with the way the coaches were treating the umpires. He told me he was an umpire for many years. We had a good chat and it's really sad that he has passed away. It's shocking when one is here one day and gone the next. Life is short. I thought I would be the umpire for his daughters team tonight, but it's not till tomorrow night. I don't know, but I doubt his daughter will be there, just a few days after losing her father. I don't know if she will blame me in some way, blame herself, change her ways for the better, or get worse. I can't help but wonder if the stress that came from that game Thursday may have been followed with more stress off the field. And I wonder if it had anything to do with his sudden death.

Tonight I had two games that went very well. No problems from coaches or fans. Everyone had a great time. One was a T-ball game and the other was coach pitch. The T-ball game had one little boy that made me laugh our loud. He steps up to the plate and looks up at me. He then looks, and points, down at his shoes and says if those shoes fall off I am still going to run, because I want to win this game! . gotta love um!

BTW, The administrator visited the coaches before the T-ball game tonight and will do so with all the T-ball teams coaches, even though there is only one problem team. .Al
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hind catcher

I was born and half-raised in AZ, then moved to TX. I thought the name of the position was hind catcher from birth to about age 12.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I was born and half-raised in AZ, then moved to TX. I thought the name of the position was hind catcher from birth to about age 12.
The first time I remember hearing "hind catcher" was when I came to TN.
Sounds like someone that catches hinds...lol

The game tonight went well without the two coaches from the pit. Before the pre-game meeting at the plate the fill-in coach came over to me to tell me both coaches would not be at the game, for their dad had just passed away. I told him I heard about Bill passing away, but didn't realize the two coaches were sisters. The kids on their team were acting more like kids in this game. One of their players who was the "hind catcher" was telling me about a big ole frog she caught, but that got stolen. I said maybe he just hopped away. She said only if he could open the door of the hamster cage. lol..Then her mom who heard this whole story told me she let the thing go wheh she wasn't looking.

Nothin' like fun at the ole ball park!