Thread: What next?
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I think you need to do two things.

First, there needs to be a meeting between whoever is responsible for the coaches and the coaches themselves, reminding them that their behavior toward umpires should be an example to their children (6-year olds are just learning this sort of thing) of how to respect authority, and also telling them that they should always be in the frame of mind of teaching these children - not just how to play physically, but how to play mentally, and that even if the umpires are dead wrong on something, their tirades are more detrimental to their kids than the poor call was in the first place.

Second, someone from your board needs to watch some of this lady's games and perhaps her practices. Her behavior in front of these kids is reprehensible.

As an aside - I think you took too much crap from her. If she managed to stay in the game somehow, you should have tossed her when she made the sexist comment, even if the game was over. Intimating that an umpire is intentionally throwing calls for ANY reason should be addressed by the board before she can return to coaching.

PS --- two umpires for TEE BALL!?!?! Wow.
Hey mcrowder,

Tonight I was informed that the man who told the coach from the pit to get back into the dugout, had passed away suddenly Saturday afternoon while fishing. He was the head coaches father. I thought that was probably the case by the way she listened to him when he loudly told her to get into the dugout after she started with that sexist talk. After the game on Thursday he told me he was not pleased with the way the coaches were treating the umpires. He told me he was an umpire for many years. We had a good chat and it's really sad that he has passed away. It's shocking when one is here one day and gone the next. Life is short. I thought I would be the umpire for his daughters team tonight, but it's not till tomorrow night. I don't know, but I doubt his daughter will be there, just a few days after losing her father. I don't know if she will blame me in some way, blame herself, change her ways for the better, or get worse. I can't help but wonder if the stress that came from that game Thursday may have been followed with more stress off the field. And I wonder if it had anything to do with his sudden death.

Tonight I had two games that went very well. No problems from coaches or fans. Everyone had a great time. One was a T-ball game and the other was coach pitch. The T-ball game had one little boy that made me laugh our loud. He steps up to the plate and looks up at me. He then looks, and points, down at his shoes and says if those shoes fall off I am still going to run, because I want to win this game! . gotta love um!

BTW, The administrator visited the coaches before the T-ball game tonight and will do so with all the T-ball teams coaches, even though there is only one problem team. .Al