Thread: What next?
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Now I have a theory on why kids play kickball versus softball/baseball. Bottom line it's pretty easy . Kick the ball.run after the ball, kick the ball, stand there and take a break. repeat. Now softball requies catching, throwing, and hitting. Not easy. Parents have to spend time teaching their kids these very difficult skills. For whatever reasons parents these days are swamped and these skills take time to develop. So throw my kid on the grass, let them run around, hoot and hollar, and wha la my kids an athlete. Or I thow hours and hours of grounders, batting practice etc and maybe my kid will be sucessfull 3/4 times out of ten.

Just my opinion.....
I agree with this at the very young levels (10U and younger, maybe even include 12U). But, above that, they players do need to develop skill. But, my theory is not skill per se, but rather the fact that a skillless player can blend in on a kickball team, and does not have to stand, by herself, at the plate, and have her lack of skill out there for everyone to see. IOW, self-esteem!