The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 10:08am
Suppref

I had one of the JV officials call me about a situation that had happened to him. One of the varsity officials was a no show, so the other varsity official asked him to stay and do the V game. At the begining of the 3rd period the no show official shows. Next dead ball he tell jv guy he's got the rest of the game. Any thoughts on whether commisioner should be told about this or is it between the officials? I don't know if I as the late show guy would have done that.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
I had one of the JV officials call me about a situation that had happened to him. One of the varsity officials was a no show, so the other varsity official asked him to stay and do the V game. At the begining of the 3rd period the no show official shows. Next dead ball he tell jv guy he's got the rest of the game. Any thoughts on whether commisioner should be told about this or is it between the officials? I don't know if I as the late show guy would have done that.
Suppref,
I woulda asked my fill-in if he wanted to continue, and give him the option ...and my check.
Don't know about commissioners.
mick
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 10:26am
Suppref

Suppref,
I woulda asked my fill-in if he wanted to continue, and give him the option ...and my check.
Don't know about commissioners.
mick [/B][/QUOTE]

Mick I forgot totally about the check. thanks
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Let the home AD decied whether the V official should take over.

Either way, I'd tell the commissioner, and ask the AD to tell the commissioner
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I think in fairness to the teams, whoever starts the game should finish, unless it was pre-arranged that the other guy would take over. They have had a half to adjust, now they need to again? If I was the coach I would not let this happen.

And, if the other ref is not a usual partner, then they are out there with no pregame, or any familiarity.

I say the no-show is SOL, and he can expalin to the AD and State where he was.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Brian. If a JV ref is willing and capable of working a V game, let him/her work! If a V can't make a commitment to a game, tough...let the JV guy gain a little credibility and experience with the V crew and AD. I think the ref that showed up late had some major cajones to step in and finish the game. Not to mention that the game is already 1/2 over and players are comfortable with the way the crew is calling the game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I'd definitely talk to the commissioner or assignor or whoever handles the league. Where I come from, you show up in the third period, you probably won't get a varsity game for three years. As far as who continues. If there is some reason why the partner who started the dance can't continue. Finish with him. In my opinion, if you can't be there 15 minutes before game time, then you can't work the game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This happened in our association last year when a varsity official witnessed a bad accident on the way to the game and was detained to give a statement. In fact, it was him who called 911 and waited for the authorities.

He got to the gym during halftime and one of the JV officials from the first game was doing the varsity game. The varsity official thanked him and told him he would be fine with it if the guy wanted to finish the game. In fact, he said it probably would be fairer to the players if that happened. He said he would sit at the scorer's table with his jacket on and be available for any help if asked.

That's how they finished the game. The JV official got paid at the varsity rate for the game, and we recognized the varsity official at the next meeting for his duty in helping the accident victims get help quickly, and for his deportment at the game. We voted to pay him for the game out of association funds, but he declined.

What a guy, and no - it wasn't Dave (or me, for that matter - I probably would have taken the pay - and I KNOW Dave would have).
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

If these are two men games, why not work three man. If they are three man, i think the JV official should stay on the court, unless he feels the need to give up the 2nd half. He should get paid for his time.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:09pm
Suppref

Smile Thanks

I was careful not to pass judgement(far be it from me to judge a fellow official) in the original posting, so as to solicit non partial advise. But, the late arriving official is one of those 15-20 year guys who thinks he's bigger than the game. He also has ties with the local powers that be. I will consolidate all of your input and make a decision. You guys are the best. Thanks for the input!!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:14pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
If these are two men games, why not work three man. If they are three man, i think the JV official should stay on the court, unless he feels the need to give up the 2nd half. He should get paid for his time.
Bart,
As you know, there are 30 yr. officials that can't/won't work a three-man. And the flavor of that particular game, spicing it up in the 3rd quarter, would then definitely change even if all the officials were on the same page.
But I could see scheduling 3-man for every game and if one didn't show....
mick
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

If hecould call 911 on his cell, why not the school?

I always have my contract and contact numbers with me, just in case.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mick, is there still state post season play that doesn't work three man?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mick, is there still state post season play that doesn't work three man?
Yeah, Bart,
Sad, but true.

Every school team plays in the State Tourney.
Districts - 2-man
Regionals - 2-man
Quarterfinals - 3-man
Semifinals - 3-man
Finals - 3-man

A couple years ago, we had a vet, who was going to the Quarterfinals, work with us in a couple of Jr High games about two days before he left for the quaterfinals.

Some Lower Michigan areas use 3-man for regular season games, and then "step down" to two-man games for the Districts and regionals.

A.D.s in our area wonder about more fouls? Less fouls? Longer games? We do it every chance we get, maybe that is why my long term partner and I have been broken up. But, hey, we always ask before we schedule a third.

And, as I mentioned before, the A.D.s do the assigning, and their Coaches do the rating of officials.

I was told at a trainer's meeting that Kentucky "Never" goes three-man, by a high ranking assignor in the state.
That knocked my socks off! Wouldn't that be like Indiana and North Carolina using only two-man?

mick

Old Fri Jan 19, 2001, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

AAAAA... When I left Indiana two years ago it was still two man.

Except for a few pockets, I don't think they will ever leave the dark ages.