The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hello to all. I am a first year basketball official, raw as can be. I will be doing Miami-Dade high school games, JV and girls for the most part. I have not called a game yet. Would love to hear some feedback on what to expect,what I should try to do/not do, etc.

What is a good site to get uniform, equip, etc. that is not so expensive.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Eddie,

Welcome to the forum and to the officiating community. This is a great place to learn and share ideas.

Last year, I was in your shoes. Those first few games will be exciting and scary. Prepare yourself by learning the rules thoroughly and the mechanics as best as possible.

Someone mentionned last year that it takes approximately five years to really feel like you are comfortable. I know that I am so much more confident this year compared to last, so I can imagine the difference 3 or 4 years will make.

As for practical advice:
1. get a good whistle and blow it hard
2. only call what you see, try not to anticipate a foul or violation
3. look off the ball when it is not your primary
responsibility
4. hustle to get into position
5. learn from your experienced partners, have big ears and a little mouth
6. have fun

I get my stuff from Honig's (www.honigs.com)

Jay

[Edited by Jay R on Nov 10th, 2002 at 02:24 PM]
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieLopez
Hello to all. I am a first year basketball official, raw as can be. I will be doing Miami-Dade high school games, JV and girls for the most part. I have not called a game yet. Would love to hear some feedback on what to expect,what I should try to do/not do, etc.

Read as much of the mechanics book to understand where you need to be and what you need to call. Buy a Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook as soon as possible. Great learning tool for things you almost need to visualize to understand. The rulebook alone might be very confusing, so buy this book directly from the National Federation.

Quote:

What is a good site to get uniform, equip, etc. that is not so expensive.
Try Gerry Davis Sports, in my opinion the are the best for basketball. You can get basketball equiptment anywhere, but you want quality stuff. They have very good quality equiptment. Do not worry so much about price. If you do this on a regular basis, you will need to be more concerned about about the quality of the stuff you have. Considering all the washing and abuse it will go through in just one season.

Peace

Gerry Davis Sports

[Edited by JRutledge on Nov 10th, 2002 at 03:10 PM]
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I am in my 6th year as an official and I have 1 further piece of advice: Only hear what you have to hear while on the court.

The other items given to you are all excellent. Work hard and enjoy the game.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 04:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

If you want to prepare properly, go to the zoo with a tape recorder and tape about 2 hours of howler monkey screaming. Then - lock yourself in a closet and turn the tape on full blast. Do this while running in place.

Also - practice the phrases, "no, coach", "that's not what happened coach" and "coach, you have obviously confused me with someone who gives a dump."

Then, make yourself an Advil and Tylenol milkshake and drink it.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Eddie --

Don't worry too much about Padgett's advice. Every human situation has its bad moments, and you'll endure your share of them, but you get through it by remembering that you're in charge and it doesn't have to break you.

The best advice I received was, "Hear the music!" Relax, enjoy yourself, and feel great.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

First year official and you're going to be doing high school already? Are you doing any lower level games? Some guys start out at the bottom and work their way-up.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
If you want to prepare properly, go to the zoo with a tape recorder and tape about 2 hours of howler monkey screaming. Then - lock yourself in a closet and turn the tape on full blast. Do this while running in place.

Also - practice the phrases, "no, coach", "that's not what happened coach" and "coach, you have obviously confused me with someone who gives a dump."

Then, make yourself an Advil and Tylenol milkshake and drink it.
lol. if you're good at this stuff edit in phrases like
"that's a travel!"
"one...two...three...four...five...he's living in there!"
"call it both ways!"
"you're losing control! someone's gonna get hurt!"

actually it's not that bad (usually), good luck, have fun, let us know how it goes...(btw, I prefer a stoli & vermouth milkshake, but I wait until I get home!
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys

I appreciate all the responses and advice. Someone mentioned about going straight into high school. I will be doing JV and girls to start not varsity. I am trying to work myself into a recreational league as well, all of this is new so I guess it takes time to land these games and opportunities. Hey I will now get my share, I confess of getting on the ref's when I have gone or played in games so I know what comes with the territory. I have not called a game but I think your demeanor,attitude, and consistency will set the tone.

As some have said going in I want to call what I see and be sure of my calls. I agree from the feedback I have been getting I keep hearing make sure you are in position and don't get lazy during the game.

Hey if there is anymore advice please keep it coming, I love to hear advice from experienced people that are willing to help.

Question.

From the moment we are involved in high school and recreational leagues, what is the process and likelihood of the opportunity to do college and pro games? Is it time-years, experience, a combination, or who you know?

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 12:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Thanks guys

Quote:

Question.

From the moment we are involved in high school and recreational leagues, what is the process and likelihood of the opportunity to do college and pro games? Is it time-years, experience, a combination, or who you know?

Thanks
There will be extensive debate on this. You really have to attend camps or referee schools to be elgible for college and pro. Years of experience is only one factor, but if you are precieved to be good you might be moved along much quicker. Of course the experience you have will benefit you, but some individuals have talent get opportunity that others do not get. Who you know always means something, but that does not mean you will be hired just on that fact. Who you know might get you in the door or the opportunity, but others are not going to crash and burn based on your mistakes. A D1 Official might get you a look by a recommendation, but it does not mean you will get hired or ever advance based on the recommendation alone. I think even more important is where you live. Officials get hired from where they live as much as anything. If you are in an area that has many other higher level officials, you might be seen quicker than the official that has no college officials around them. No different than a basketball player that comes from a school where other D1 prospects have come from.

Really there are so many factors and what might apply to me might not apply to you. Ask around your neck of the woods and find out who might be on that level around you. These people can much better answer you question and give you greater detail.

Hope that helps.

Peace

Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks guys

Question.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

WOW....dude, you have some great aspirations there!!
Haven't even officiated one game and you are inquiring about being a Pro Official!

This advocation of officiating, as you will see, is fiercely competitive. Forgive me for smiling, but you asking about being a Pro Official is like a youngster asking about being a Pro Basketball player the first day he's given a ball.
In order to make it too that level, either playing or officiating, you pretty much have to dedicate your whole life to it.
Heck, Eddie, if it was easy...everybody would be doing it.
Don't let me discourage you though...hang in there...and just have fun at the level you are doing.

RD
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 02:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

WOW....dude, you have some great aspirations there!!
Haven't even officiated one game and you are inquiring about being a Pro Official!

Nothing wrong with asking. Becoming a pro or NBA ref does not mean you have to have done HS varsity or even college for a long time to get to that point. Obviously that is usually where most might start, but there are officials that have made it without doing a single HS varsity game. You have to go to camps and learn the way the NBA officiates. That is quite different than what all the other levels do. The NBA are looking for much more than officiating experience, they are looking for people that can handle pressure. They will teach you how to officiate if need be.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
First year official and you're going to be doing high school already? Are you doing any lower level games? Some guys start out at the bottom and work their way-up.
Don't worry about this advice. My first game was Boys 9th grade. A game I called rookies night out. My partner had one game under his belt and I had none. The coaches, one had one game and the other had none. We had fun and got through the game without anything stupid happening. Some places you work your way up others you start at the top. Where I am now, I worked some 1a varsity games with rookie officials. We had a good game and they did a wonderful job. Not perfect but I got better results then with 20 year vets.

The thing I say to rookies is relax. Call your game. Find a mentor. I looked for advice from everyone I could find. I had my mentor that I could call anytime to hash out ideas with. Then at the game site, if there was someone there who knew more than I did, I was all ears. I listened intently to what they had to say. I am now in my sixth season and I can honestly say, I am still learning.

How long before college or pro? That all depends on you. I know of an official who called a regional playoff game after two years. I know people who after five years have a division III college schedule. Of course I know people who have officiated for 15 years and still don't have a solid varsity schedule. It all depends on the individual. Thea area of the country he is. How fast he is willing to submit his ego, and learn from someone who is where he wants to be. After six years, I still don't have a college schedule. Why? I have not been able to stay in any one place and have not gone to the right camps.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 03:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Tim Roden

Very well said partner!!!

Peace
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

My point was first year officials don't usually start out at the JV level. In our association our first year guys start out doing middle school and AAU and work their way up. We have over 75 refs in our association and if a new guy started out at that level would piss off some guys who have been doing this for a few years. It's called ratings. Our association covers over 20 high schools with 5 schools playing at the top level. Our JV games precede the varsity game and most of the time the varsity coach is on the bench. It would be a little tough doing your first game for anyone under these conditions. Not saying that maybe later on during the season you could get scheduled for a JV game. I guess it also would depend on your location, number of schools, number of refs in your associations, etc...

You have set some good goals and go for it, but take your time and learn. Watch the varsity games, ask questions, study the rule and case books. Another good hint...look good! A good clean uniform, polished shoes, clean shaved will make you look professional. First impressions go a long way.