The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

After re-reading all the posts I've managed to confuse myself, as all I was trying to clarify was whether the "batter-runners" entire body had to be "INSIDE" the 3' running lane to be protected from being called out for interfering with the fielder's opportunity to catch the throw from F2, or any other defensive player for that matter, to make a play on her. For example if the batter-runner is 5 steps from 1rst base and totally in the lane and get's pluncked in the back by a less than perfect throw from F1 I believe she's protected barring intent. But in that same scenario what if she's straddling the baseline, from HP to 1rst base and get's hit on her left shoulder which isn't actually in the lane is she out? This of course is assuming F3 is unable to make the catch? Sorry if I'm over analyzing this one, as I'm just trying to get it clear in my head so I can make the proper call when the time comes!!!
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrock1954
For example if the batter-runner is 5 steps from 1rst base and totally in the lane and get's pluncked in the back by a less than perfect throw from F1 I believe she's protected barring intent. But in that same scenario what if she's straddling the baseline, from HP to 1rst base and get's hit on her left shoulder which isn't actually in the lane is she out? This of course is assuming F3 is unable to make the catch? Sorry if I'm over analyzing this one, as I'm just trying to get it clear in my head so I can make the proper call when the time comes!!!
I believe I already answered this question.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mike has actually answered you; but, I find that sometimes it helps if someone else rephrases an answer.

If a batter-runner interferes with the possible catch of a throw in fair territory by a fielder in position to make that catch, that is a violation of the 3foot running lane rule. The interference can be by contacting the ball or screening the fielder, either intentionally or inadvertantly; but the interference, if it occurs, must happen over fair territory, regardless how much of the BR may be in foul territory.

The exception to this rule in ASA is if the play is coming from foul territory to begin with, and the fielder chooses the orange (foul territory) base when a double base exists, then the batter-runner is given an equivalent 3 foot running lane in fair territory, since she may then use the white (fair) first base. In that case, the runner actually has a 6 foot running, 3 feet on either side of the fair line. To my knowledge, NFHS does not have an equivalent exception, and it does not apply in NCAA, which doesn't use a double base.

Does that rewording make it clearer?