The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

HBP in front of box

A while back, I asked what the ruling would be if a left-handed batter ran up to show bunt or slash, crossed the front line of the batter's box, did not offer, and--out of the box--was hit by a pitch that did not have a chance to become a strike.

I posed this question to my NJ UIC a couple of weeks ago, and the answer has now come back from ASA: it is "hit by pitch."
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify for those that didn't read the first thread...

"Did not have a chance to become a strike" can be misread (and was! By me in the OP).

Grey means a pitch that would not have otherwise become a strike had it not hit the batter.

Initially, I read this as a ball that did not have a chance to become a strike BECAUSE of the batter being hit outside the box... and that it would have become a strike had the batter not deprived it of it's full flight toward the plate.

In Grey's sitch, this is indeed a HBP. If the pitch was going to be a strike, however, had it continued it's flight, it is a DBS.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Good catch, mcrowder. "Did not have a chance to become a strike" could mistakenly be taken to mean "was not given a chance to become a strike."

I should have known better, since part of my regular job is to write medical instructions, methods, and procedures that cannot be interpreted more than one way.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
A while back, I asked what the ruling would be if a left-handed batter ran up to show bunt or slash, crossed the front line of the batter's box, did not offer, and--out of the box--was hit by a pitch that did not have a chance to become a strike.

I posed this question to my NJ UIC a couple of weeks ago, and the answer has now come back from ASA: it is "hit by pitch."
I would agree with an exception. If the umpire judges the batter literally ran into the pitch IN AN OBVIOUS MANNER, I can see ignoring the HBP. A particular batting style does not alleviate the responsibility of avoiding a pitch.