The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

this is my first season where I am working a lot of games in each day, usually a sub varsity and then 3 Mens leagues night games almost every day.

I am finding the next day at work my front teeth are aching from holding the whistle in my mouth for such a duration. Am I biting down too hard? is this just a bad habit I have picked up? or is this the norm? Can you hold the whistle in your hand and then put it in your mouth to blow it, without loosing reaction time?

I'd appreciate any tips or similar situations?

thanks again
GTW
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:05am
9 times

Seems like you are biting awfully hard if your teeth hurt. I would try to relax without lowering my intensity and concentration.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I used to have this problem, especially with sore jaw muscles. For the last two seasons, I used nothing but Fox40 CMG model (cushion mouth guard). These have a rubber piece over the end, requiring less pressure to keep in your mouth and less wear on my teeth.

You might want to look into these. I think they were about a dollar more than the basic ones.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Your biting too hard

I have worked many multiple game tournaments (as many as 8 games in a day) and have not had sore teeth (gums). My feet and calves tend to be the things that ache.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
I used to have this problem, especially with sore jaw muscles. For the last two seasons, I used nothing but Fox40 CMG model (cushion mouth guard). These have a rubber piece over the end, requiring less pressure to keep in your mouth and less wear on my teeth.

You might want to look into these. I think they were about a dollar more than the basic ones.
Hear hear!
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I tried the CMG too and don't think I like it as well. It doesn't seem as loud and crisp. I am sure it's just in my head because it's the same whistle just with a plastic piece on it. I have just learned to not bite down so hard and relax more.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

And Relax

Like was said above, it also helps to relax, lean back and at least look like you're having fun. I make it a point to laugh at least once a game at something that's yelled from the stands.... there's always something said there that's absolutely ridiculuous.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have always had this problem, ever since an incident about five or six years ago, in which I caught a baseball with my front teeth. (I lost it on the exhange. )

I also use the classic Fox 40 with the cushioned tip, which I like, but I think the biggest difference can be seen, if you simply loosen your bite, release your whistle, or take it in your hand, as you run the floor. Especially if there is little or no backcourt pressure, the majority of your whistles will be when you have gotten to your position, and are only moving to adjust to ball movement in the half-court game. I have found that this helps alot, since alot of the jarring impact occurs with the quick hard steps that occur when you are running in transition.

Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I know some people don't like this, but I hold the whistle in my teeth, but towards the corner of my mouth. It helps a lot.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

The CMG Fox 40 will help a lot once you get used to the slightly larger bite size. During the action you CANNOT hold your whistle in your hands... you will miss your mouth, or drop it, or spit all over the players because you forgot to put it in your mouth.

I would also suggest stretching your jaw muscles when you get a chance during the game (free throws, Out-of-Bounds, etc.)- drop your whistle and open wide, or suck it in and hold it only with your lips as you wiggle your jaw around. It may not be that your are biting too hard but rather just holding your jaw tense in one position for a long period of time. Relax a little.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

We had an official in an area I used to work, that would use the finger whistle that football officials use.... He did not seem to have a problem doing this.....I keep whistle in mouth, except for dead ball situations....If I held a whistle in my hand....I would miss my mouth !

AK ref SE
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Since I already have a kajillion whistles in my bag, I'm not about to go and spend money to buy new CMG's. What I do instead is to wrap my whistle with black hockey tape before each game. It provides a cushion, keeps my whistle, clean, it's invisible during the game and is disposable after the game. Plus it's cheap. The whole roll cost about $2.50.

At least you don't have the problem Paul Pierce has with his front teeth. Anybody see the highlights of that bout. . .I mean game? Wow.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
At least you don't have the problem Paul Pierce has with his front teeth. Anybody see the highlights of that bout. . .I mean game? Wow.
Saw it,Chuck.That's just the NBA version of "no harm/no foul".
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
That's just the NBA version of "no harm/no foul".
That's really stretching the meaning of "no harm". That sure looked like a big hit.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
That's really stretching the meaning of "no harm". That sure looked like a big hit.[/B][/QUOTE]It's stretching the "no foul" part,too.I saw the replay during the game 'cause I happened to be watching the Celtics game at that particular time.Also saw the replays on ESPN this morning.I thought it definitely was a foul.Defender was late getting there,and then got enough of the hip to put Pierce down.It doesn't take much contact to upend somebody when they're flying through the air like that-they're pretty vulnerable.Not surprised that ol' Tommy-Gun went strange after the game,either.I thought Ken Mauer was cool-just wished Heinsohn a Merry Christmas.