The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Nf Pitching Rule

I know that the pitcher must start with both feet within or partially within the 24" length of the pitcher's plate. The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag as long as the foot stays within the 24 " plate. My question is about the non-pivot foot or the swing foot. I saw an umpire call an illegal pitch because the swing foot landed outside the 24" plate. Could you give me a ruling on this and the rule?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Both feet either when starting or finishing the delivery must remain with the 24 inch length of the pitching plate.

If you have a copy the the rules book on page 50 there is a picture diagram of pivot and non-pivot requirments.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Nf Pitching Rule

After looking at the pitching digram it does not say where the swing foot must land. I have always been told that the NF will put a rule in the book if they want something illegal. If it is not in the book then it is not illegal. I can not find where it says that the non pviot foot must land within the 24" plate. The rule is very clear that the pivot foot must stay in the 24" plate. I would think that if they wanted the non pivot foot to stay in the 24" plate they would have made it just as clear.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret
After looking at the pitching digram it does not say where the swing foot must land. I have always been told that the NF will put a rule in the book if they want something illegal. If it is not in the book then it is not illegal. I can not find where it says that the non pviot foot must land within the 24" plate. The rule is very clear that the pivot foot must stay in the 24" plate. I would think that if they wanted the non pivot foot to stay in the 24" plate they would have made it just as clear.
Read 6:1:2:b:Note. It states:

Towards is interpreted as within or partially within the 24 inch length of the pitcher's plate.

This is in reference to the forward step, which is taken with the non-pivot foot. Clearly, the umpire who ruled this was correct.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Smile Nf Pitching Rule

Thank You for the rule and the reply!!!
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

make sure ...

Make sure you have have a pitching rubber that is 2 feet wide before you call this. I've been on fields where the rubber isn't regulation - 18 inches instead of 24.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lglusco
Make sure you have have a pitching rubber that is 2 feet wide before you call this. I've been on fields where the rubber isn't regulation - 18 inches instead of 24.
if not most....
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret
It is inferred by diagrams 4 and 8.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
if not most....

You're kidding, right? I have only seen an incorrect pitching plate a couple of times in all my years of umpiring.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.