The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Is it illegal in ASA to pitch from behind the rubber or from the side of the rubber as long as one foot is touching the rubber? Wasn't sure of the rules for proper delivery from the rubber. Thanks for your help..

Brian
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Slowpitch requires one (pivot)foot on the rubber, and the other foot can be anywhere. Usually its at the end of the leg.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Slow pitch or fast pitch?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Slowpitch requires one (pivot)foot on the rubber, and the other foot can be anywhere. Usually its at the end of the leg.
Very good, I like that one.

However, remember that in SP, the pivot doesn't even have to be "on" the pitcher's plate, but just in contact with it. I've seen some guys stretch out from the end so far, a RH batter would have to actually turn his body a bit toward 3B just to see the ball from the release.

Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Slow pitch, Yes I like with 2 strikes to pitch from the far right as well anyone know where I can get a copy of ASA rulebook electronically?
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Originally posted by BKDaddy
Slow pitch, Yes I like with 2 strikes to pitch from the far right as well anyone know where I can get a copy of ASA rulebook electronically?
Yep. Nowhere. ASA does not provide copies of it's rulebook in electronic form.

SamC
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by BKDaddy
Available electronically....

... if you send your payment to them electonically they will send you a rulebook and you can track your UPS shipment electronically to see when it will arrive on your doorstep. Be sure that your doorbell has is working properly, that is, electronically speaking.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone post the actual rule regarding delivery of the ball from the rubber, and the placement of feet. I have umpires telling me i have to have both feet on the rubber, and I cant pitch from right side of rubber. I would like to see the actual rule in print.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Rule 6:3:E states:

"The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate until the pitched ball leaves the hand. If a step is taken, it can be forward, backward, or to the side, provided the pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher's plate and the step is simultaneous to the release of the ball."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Can I already be out to the right in the starting position and then deliver the pitch from the right side of the rubber?

You know left foot on the edge of the rubber right foot about 3 feet out from the right edge of the rubber standing toward the plate then deliver the pitch to the plate.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

YEP
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

"Can I already be out to the right in the starting position and then deliver the pitch from the right side of the rubber?

You know left foot on the edge of the rubber right foot about 3 feet out from the right edge of the rubber standing toward the plate then deliver the pitch to the plate."

Do you throw with your right hand? This is going to be awkward to step with right foot and throw with right hand. If you step with the left foot, you are illegal.

WMB
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"Can I already be out to the right in the starting position and then deliver the pitch from the right side of the rubber?

You know left foot on the edge of the rubber right foot about 3 feet out from the right edge of the rubber standing toward the plate then deliver the pitch to the plate."

Do you throw with your right hand? This is going to be awkward to step with right foot and throw with right hand. If you step with the left foot, you are illegal.

WMB
Who said anything about a step? Many SP throwers don't even consider stepping with the pitch and if they do, it's usually toward 2B.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Who said anything about a step? Many SP throwers don't even consider stepping with the pitch and if they do, it's usually toward 2B.

Yeppers, getting the hell out of the way.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.