The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
T-Ball...

Hope to get some advice. I've been informed that on each Monday I will be umpiring for one T-Ball game to be added with my regular coach pitch games and some possible fastpitch fill-ins. For T-Ball I will be alone. The batter will be given five attemps to hit the ball off the T and only one foul on the fifth pitch will keep the batter alive. No coach pitching to the T-ball players for now, but they may allow that later in the season. I'm hoping there may be some here that may have done some T-Ball games and can tell me what machanics would be the best use in situations where none are on base, one on, etc. etc. I don't want to be running all over the field from the plate area or be out of position to see a play clearly, but I don't want to be too far from the plate in certain situations. I'm thinking perhaps standing behind the circle if any are on base, then following the ball and play from there. Thanks to any that may be able to give me some sound advice. ..Al
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I suggest trying your hardest not to fall asleep.

lordie.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
I don't want to be running all over the field from the plate area...
I only did one similar game, an adult slow pitch "coach's pitch". They got three pitches and I did not have to call balls and strikes.

My improvised mechanic started with me in the "A" position, thinking I would occupy the traditional base umpire position. Second pitch of the game was hit fast toward the third base line, and there I was in the "A" position having to call fair/foul.

I realized afterwards that I needed to be behind the plate, at least for that league. Since you probably won't get any screamers down the lines and if those foul lines are marked well, you might be able to call from behind the pitcher. I would not recommend it. If multiple runners, you probably need to be "outside looking in."
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Some would argue the need for an umpire in T ball, but I think it's a good idea. The focus should be on managing the game, protecting the kids and teaching them to listen to officials.

Having coached three kids through T ball, I've seen too many instances of the kids swinging away on deck, while other kids are runnning around near them. Always some cofusion around the plate, especially when kids are coming around the bases and an overeager batter is stepping up to the tee.

I'd stay close to the plate and expect most plays to be at first until the kids learn to throw to different bases.

Love when a kid hits one deep and the entire defense chases the ball to the outfield.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:58am
VaASAump

I have had "plenty" of games utilizing both T-ball and "coach's" pitch, and I have never stood behind the pitcher, or the circle. It should not matter what level you are umpiring, you should always be in the standard position for plate umpires. I feel that by staying in this position, I still have the whole field in front of me (not to mention anything I may miss from 30-plus feet away, i.e. catcher's obstruction, etc).

I also realize the leagues may not call balls and strikes, but at least I can still practice my strike zone (even if it's just in my head). But if you do call balls and strikes, then calling them from behind the pitcher makes it no different than when you call it from behind the plate and a ballplayer 40' away saw something different.

JMHO,
Serg
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
Some would argue the need for an umpire in T ball, but I think it's a good idea. The focus should be on managing the game, protecting the kids and teaching them to listen to officials.

Having coached three kids through T ball, I've seen too many instances of the kids swinging away on deck, while other kids are runnning around near them. Always some cofusion around the plate, especially when kids are coming around the bases and an overeager batter is stepping up to the tee.

I'd stay close to the plate and expect most plays to be at first until the kids learn to throw to different bases.

Love when a kid hits one deep and the entire defense chases the ball to the outfield.
You're correct most plays are at first! Of course the throw is almost always late. They never seem to throw ahead of the runner in T-Ball. And if the kid keeps running the throw is late to the next base, as well etc...

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'll take it! Good points from all, especially the point about the need to watch out for the safety of the kids around the plate area!

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! ..Al