The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

First weekend for youth ball - OBS, OBS, OBS

5 games worked - 2 12U, 3 10U, and 3 games observing - 8U.

15 OBS called by me in my 3 games on the bases, several more by partner and 8U umpire. Only 3 bases eventually awarded, but good grief!

First week out and all, and by and large the girls were well coached, but obviously the idea that F3 (or F4, F6, and even F5 once) didn't need to camp on the bag if the ball wasn't coming was obviously overlooked in practice.

Had one poor girl OBS'd 5 times on the same play - scored anyway. 5 infielders (incl. F2), and this poor girl had to run an obstacle course to avoid them all and still touch all her bases.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
5 games worked - 2 12U, 3 10U, and 3 games observing - 8U.

15 OBS called by me in my 3 games on the bases, several more by partner and 8U umpire. Only 3 bases eventually awarded, but good grief!

First week out and all, and by and large the girls were well coached, but obviously the idea that F3 (or F4, F6, and even F5 once) didn't need to camp on the bag if the ball wasn't coming was obviously overlooked in practice.

Had one poor girl OBS'd 5 times on the same play - scored anyway. 5 infielders (incl. F2), and this poor girl had to run an obstacle course to avoid them all and still touch all her bases.
I'm jealous. The rare two man games we see up here on the tundra at 12U, 10U, 8U, are state tournament games only. We are fortunate to get two man games for 16U and 18U at weekend tourneys. League games are out of the question. Must be a tremendous opportunity to work with new umps.