The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2000, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Please somebody tell me how to deal with referees that appear to be blind!! I really respect the ref's job-I couldn't do it!! Thats why I coach. But, our youth league referees really have problems!! Both on my side and my opponients side of the court. (inconsistancies mainly-and even not knowing rules) Really-Im not being difficult. Its just hard as a coach to teach the kids specifics when the referees blow it at the games. (our rules change with the wind!!)
How in the world do you deal with this? The commissioner doesn't know anything-refuses to deal with it (all the coaches have talked to him...)
Any suggestions appreciated!!!!
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

First, compare the quality of the league's players with the quality of the average NBA player.

Now, compare the quality of the league's refs with the quality of the NBA refs.

(or, pick some other group if you don't like the NBA.)

Generally, the refs are just learning -- as are the players. You have a valid complaint if they aren't hustling, aren't learning -- but the complaint is not with the refs but with the organization that provides them (and that may be the rec league itself).
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Kevin -

Why not officiate yourself? Have you taken the class and test? Thats what I did. Used to coach CYO. Oh, and by the way, after officiating for one year I guarantee you that you'll find there are a lot of things you thought you knew but were completely wrong on (like backcourt, 3 seconds and travelling violations). And Kevin, I've been dribbling a basketball since before I could walk. Even if you don't continue to officiate and decide to coach instead, you will understand and appreciate the game more.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 02:14am
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's probably the straightest reply you're going to get. Among other things, I have been on the board of our local youth rec league for 11 years, so I think I have some credibility on this issue.

Frankly, if you're expecting a high standard of officiating at this level, you're probably fooling yourself. Our league always has trouble recruiting refs with any experience due to many reasons, including low pay, the fact that we play at the same time as high school and all the upper grade rec leagues (which is why I hardly have the time to do any of the games myself) and the lack of prestige in doing youth games.

This situation is inherent in the system. That's not to say that there are no competent youth league refs out there (after all, I do some of the games ), but in general, the quality of ref is much lower than that to which you think you may be entitled.

Now for the sarcastic part (you knew it was coming, didn't you). In my experience, the only group who knows less about the rules than youth league refs is youth league coaches. Notice there's no winky face here.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Zen answer-

Accept people's weaknesses as a reflection of man's imperfection. Hone your skill at overcoming incompetence and maintaining your dignity.

Teach your players to focus on the things that they can control:

* giving 100%
* sportsmanship
* having fun, even in defeat

... a bit altruistic, but good to remind yourself. Remember, you are a role model to these kids.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Wow Pizanno!....Well said!!!
Old Wed Apr 05, 2000, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Outstanding Pizanno!

You summed up the philosophy that I have internalized well but verbalized poorly at times. Basketball courts are a great place to learn life lessons. Coaches must teach players to become more than athletes. Coaches are one of many adult influences that will teach these players how to be successful adults. Teach them to accept the good and bad calls as part of the environment and to take care of what they control - that's one of those important lessons they can take away from the game and apply to life situations.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2000, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Pizanno -

Is this the explanation you gave to that coach last week that you blew that call on?? *grin*

I use the following: "Coach, to forgive is divine....BE DIVINE!!! Not Zen and not as esoteric as your response, but more direct and to the point...(Who ever said refs were stupid????)
Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Thank you all for your replies.
I have taken the stance that this is our game-lets control what we can and not worry about the rest. Some of the girls understand it and were working on those who dont.
I suppose your correct on my expecting too much from youth league officials (being young too and still learning). Its difficult though when they look at you and laugh as they do or dont call something!!

We live in a tough world-seems like the youth should have a better foundation to start off with...but this too is life!!

Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Kevin -

You said: "Its difficult though when they look at you and laugh as they do or dont call something!!"

I for one am sorry to hear that. I know how hard many coaches and players work to prepare for games. I take my refing seriously (as most refs do) and want to do the very best job I can do. I certainly wouldn't laugh at an upset coach. Wrong response.

I hope you run into some good refs along the way. There are plenty out there. Keep pushing for training refs in your league.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know your situation (age/skill level in league), but usually the refs in the very young age groups "let them play" and do grin at the not so egregious violations. When I started with 2nd graders, the rule seemed to be let one or two double dribbles go on one "player possession", but if the player did the two handed dribble or picked it up every other step on a drive they would call it. Similarly, traveling was not called unless they covered more than five feet. This resulted in a lot of grins, from refs, coaches, and fans, although the players had no clue.

I liked letting them play as long as the reffing was consistent, which it usually was. When strictest interpretations are used, the rules exceed the younger players skill level and they get tentative rather than going all out and enjoying the game. As they get older, that type of reffing needs to cease and the enforcement tightened. Similarly, recreational ball, with a high variety of skill levels, is usually reffed more loosely than select ball, like AAU, especially in younger ages (pre-middle school) and lower divisions.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Kevin:
Its difficult though when they look at you and laugh as they do or dont call something!!

Honestly Kev'
You can be happy that they smile at you, rather than trying to compensate their errors by giving out T's

By the way Pizanno,
Do you mind if I use ur lines of advice here? I am thinking of sending these lines to the coaches. Maybe I even quote you in the paper!!!
Old Sun Apr 16, 2000, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Exclamation

Well coach my experience starting out some 22yrs ago in the youth leagues (Little Dribblers)is that my skills matched those of the players and where else would you learn to Referee/play basketball but at that level.

It seems to me that everyone wants the referees to be perfect when the playes (most of them anyway) don't know where to stand much less what player to guard or what to do when they get the ball. The coaches are allways a parent and mostly the parent of the best player on the team, or a local High School star who after graduation wants to make his mark in the community. Don't get me wrong, we have a couple of very successfull High School varsity coaches that i refereed when they were high school players.

I believe that you as a coach can help your program much more by being very supportive of your officials and pass along to your players that everyone makes mistakes play the very best that you can because the referees are doing the very best that they can.

Making the foul call is the easy part anyone can blow the whistle, the decision of weather that contact had anything to do with the play or not is the hard part and that is the part that is important in this game. That referee is working just as hard as you are trying to get acceptance in the basketball community and that takes time to do. I admire people that are coaching little kids in basketball, but sometimes the coaches have been watching to much basketball from Indiana and they believe that is their JOB to go after the officials.

My grandmother had a great saying, "everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Coach good luck to you, the kids need someone positive to look up to, to emulate, to show them by example how to go through life! I have noticed that sports is increasingly becomming a babysitting service where the team coach has to discipline the child because the parent is absent, i thank you for taking the active role as coach so that these kids can first and formost learn how to win at life.

------------------
Don
Old Mon Apr 17, 2000, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Rehuel-

Wow! Immortalized in print?! Be my guest...

Finally got my 15 minutes...albeit in Suriname!

btw - how did you get that big green grinny face?
Old Tue Apr 25, 2000, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pizanno:
Rehuel-

btw - how did you get that big green grinny face?

colon D gives the