The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm BU and the home team coach has been chirping about a couple of close call made by my partner and myself that didn't go his way. I'd already heard "that's one Blue!" After the second close call I hear "C'mon Blue, that two that's been missed!" I tell the coach to knock it off and I don't want to hear the word three come out of his mouth. A couple innings later with a runner on first, batter gets a base hit and there is a close play on R1 at third where my partner calls her safe. As the next batter is stepping into the batter's box I hear the coach yelling from the home team dugout, three.....three....three!! I called time, went to the dugout and tossed the coach. Coach had much to say, but I'd moved out to the C position as my partner rodeo clowned him off the field. When I eject someone, they're dead...and I don't talk to dead people.

During our postgame chat my partner shares with me that the coach was actually calling out a set play they have for situations with runners on first and third. F6 (#3) comes into the diamond for a short throw from F2.

All I could say was, I warned him that I didn't want to hear the word three!
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I'm BU and the home team coach has been chirping about a couple of close call made by my partner and myself that didn't go his way. I'd already heard "that's one Blue!" After the second close call I hear "C'mon Blue, that two that's been missed!" I tell the coach to knock it off and I don't want to hear the word three come out of his mouth. A couple innings later with a runner on first, batter gets a base hit and there is a close play on R1 at third where my partner calls her safe. As the next batter is stepping into the batter's box I hear the coach yelling from the home team dugout, three.....three....three!! I called time, went to the dugout and tossed the coach. Coach had much to say, but I'd moved out to the C position as my partner rodeo clowned him off the field. When I eject someone, they're dead...and I don't talk to dead people.

During our postgame chat my partner shares with me that the coach was actually calling out a set play they have for situations with runners on first and third. F6 (#3) comes into the diamond for a short throw from F2.

All I could say was, I warned him that I didn't want to hear the word three!

LOL...That's is one for America's funniest home videos! That one and Mcrowder's! Ya know the one where the dirt around home was very slick, and the batter hit a dribbler down the first base line! I can still see him getting up from his fall and hustling down the line, wondering why no one is moving on the play. Then the ball stops right on the line so he points fair ball and waits for things to happen. After recovering from losing his bearings the 1B coach pointed out why no one was running on the play. The line the ball was on was the outside of the running lane. Funny stuff!....Yours and Mcrowders would no doubt be in the top three on Americas funniest home videos. Good one, thanks for sharing it! ...Al
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Worst call..........

Calling a high quality HS tourney in KY, MY Partner, PU, pointed fair, on a low pop fly ball towards 1st base. F1, F2 & batter/runner all running toward what seemed like the same spot and a sure train wreck about to happed. Some how. no contact, B/R made it to 1B unscaved and untouched. No one touched the ball. Ball landed and rested left of the line so PU signals fair ball. We know the rest of the story...................wrong line. PU proceeds to explain to the def/coach, that we seldom see running lane lines "at home", and assumed that the running lane line must have been the foul line. We fixed it.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

WOW, almost 15 months!!!
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

"The 3rd basemen throws the ball home and the catcher stomps hardly on home plate."

How does someone hardly stomp on home plate? She either stepped on the plate, or did not.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
"The 3rd basemen throws the ball home and the catcher stomps hardly on home plate."

How does someone hardly stomp on home plate? She either stepped on the plate, or did not.

Bob
The catcher stomped (jumped) on the plate in a very dramatic and conclusive fashion Bob as if to say... "YES, she's out... we win!!! She obviously thought there was a force out at the plate.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

A funny one happened years ago in a 12U rec BB game, runners at 1B and 2B, one out, routine ground ball to SS. Tinkers to Evers to Chance is running through my mind as I move out from behind the plate to the right side to take the play at 2B and then to 1B.

But there is no ball! SS went to 3B and all I see is a cloud of dust. I immediately pointed to the 3B coach and yelled, "your call!" "Out," he replied, with a pretty good hammer.

Learned then never to anticipate.

A cruder lesson was hammered home a few years ago in the 18U Championship game at a summer tournament. Though I had been umpiring for many years, I was still struggling with my base mechanics. Anyway, runner on 2B, soft liner to LF. Runner hesitates so I quickly move in front of her to get inside. Then she goes and I pivot and only need a few steps to 3B - where I nearly run into the PU in perfect position to make the call. He does - then turns to me and snarls, "Git the F out of here - that is my call!" He said it in a way that I was the only one to hear it - and hear it I did!

Since that day, I make sure that I watch "my runners" and when the lead runner passes 2B I don't even look back.

WMB
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well.. watching the major league oops video of Ed Hickox's beautiful sell out *snicker* on the uncaught ball play at the plate in the little ball forum reminds me of a very bad call of mine..

Something like this

NFHS Varsity, partner no show.. working by myself

R1@3B - ball hit to F6 R1 goes.. F6 throws home.
Slide play at the plate.. Sell out
BR (now R?) goes to 2B
F2 throws to 2B, gets her.
Sell out #2..

but wahhhhattss all the hubbub bub..

EVERYONE but me, including my son (an umpire watching from behind the backstop) saw the catcher drop the ball on the play at the plate, pick it up quickly and throw to second. There wasnt even a chance for "show me the ball" .. it was a catch/tag/release.

Outs stood too, no way to reverse it.

My bad.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Well.. watching the major league oops video of Ed Hickox's beautiful sell out *snicker* on the uncaught ball play at the plate in the little ball forum reminds me of a very bad call of mine..

Something like this

NFHS Varsity, partner no show.. working by myself

R1@3B - ball hit to F6 R1 goes.. F6 throws home.
Slide play at the plate.. Sell out
BR (now R?) goes to 2B
F2 throws to 2B, gets her.
Sell out #2..

but wahhhhattss all the hubbub bub..

EVERYONE but me, including my son (an umpire watching from behind the backstop) saw the catcher drop the ball on the play at the plate, pick it up quickly and throw to second. There wasnt even a chance for "show me the ball" .. it was a catch/tag/release.

Outs stood too, no way to reverse it.

My bad.

Several years ago I had a similar play doing one-man mechanics. R1 at third and batter hits one to F5 who throws to F2. R1 slides into F2's tag. I'm calling and signaling the out at the plate when F2 fires the ball from her knees to F6 who makes the tag on the BR who is sliding into second base. As the ball left F2's hand, I began creating an angle for viewing the tag at second but was unable to gain much distance. The call at second went something like this: And from ninety feet with a perfect viewing angle, OUT at second! As the OC walks by me on the way back to the dugout he says to me: Blue, I was going to argue that call at second. I thought you were closer to ninety-five feet away, but you sold me on the perfect angle statement.

I grinned for a good inning after that.