View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Well.. watching the major league oops video of Ed Hickox's beautiful sell out *snicker* on the uncaught ball play at the plate in the little ball forum reminds me of a very bad call of mine..

Something like this

NFHS Varsity, partner no show.. working by myself

R1@3B - ball hit to F6 R1 goes.. F6 throws home.
Slide play at the plate.. Sell out
BR (now R?) goes to 2B
F2 throws to 2B, gets her.
Sell out #2..

but wahhhhattss all the hubbub bub..

EVERYONE but me, including my son (an umpire watching from behind the backstop) saw the catcher drop the ball on the play at the plate, pick it up quickly and throw to second. There wasnt even a chance for "show me the ball" .. it was a catch/tag/release.

Outs stood too, no way to reverse it.

My bad.

Several years ago I had a similar play doing one-man mechanics. R1 at third and batter hits one to F5 who throws to F2. R1 slides into F2's tag. I'm calling and signaling the out at the plate when F2 fires the ball from her knees to F6 who makes the tag on the BR who is sliding into second base. As the ball left F2's hand, I began creating an angle for viewing the tag at second but was unable to gain much distance. The call at second went something like this: And from ninety feet with a perfect viewing angle, OUT at second! As the OC walks by me on the way back to the dugout he says to me: Blue, I was going to argue that call at second. I thought you were closer to ninety-five feet away, but you sold me on the perfect angle statement.

I grinned for a good inning after that.