The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Had this come up in my DD's game today. Top of the 9th,(second inning of tie breaker). 1 out, runner on third, batter pops up. Runner on third is thrown out before she returns to the base.

Who is placed on 2nd to begin the bottom of the 9th?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rharrell

Who is placed on 2nd to begin the bottom of the 9th?

It would be someone from the other team (:-)

The one who popped out would most likely be the last scheduled batter (or her substitute) in the TOP OF THE TENTH. She would start at 2B.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would say the last player with a complete turn at bat in the bottom of the 8th inn.
What you wrote was about top 9th inn., that's the other team!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Sorry.......I meant top of the tenth.

The real question is, would it be the last batted out (batter who popped up), or the last out (runner thrown out at 3rd)?

Umpire put the runner thrown out at third on second in the top of the 10th (she had already made several base running errors) indicating "last out" should be the runner. Batter who popped out was a speedster who could have gotten home.

Looked through my NFHS rule book, but since tie breaker rules are set by State, couldn't find anything.

I'm used to the term "last batted out", but not certain this applies in GHSA.

Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Get rid of "last batted out".

It was the player who last completed their turn at bat. Normally, this will be the batter who preceeds the leadoff batter in the current inning.

For example: R1 on 1B with 2 outs. B4 hits a ground ball to F6 who steps on 2B for the 3rd out. B4 would be placed on 2B in the next inning even though she wasn't out. B5 is the leadoff batter next inning.

Otherwise, it is mathmatically possible for the "last batted out" to be the same player who is scheduled to leadoff that inning.

In the same sitch, suppose that 10 runs had been scored in that inning and B5 had made the 2nd out of the inning. B5 had made the last batted out, and would be due up as leadoff.

[Edited by tcannizzo on Aug 17th, 2005 at 09:31 AM]
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

The last batter to have completed her turn at bat is the runner at 2B in the tie-break inning.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Or another, sometimes simpler way of looking at it, the person who is scheduled to bat last in the top of the tenth is the person who you would put on second.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I'm sticking with last player to have completed a turn at bat.

Situation....2 outs, R1 on 1st, R2 at bat. With a count of 1-1, R1 is caught stealing 2b.

R-1 would be the tie break runner, since she was to last player to COMPLETE a turn at bat.

It's clear now, thanks!

Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Meant to say B2 at bat, need to work on my "umpspeak"
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up

As Scott said, "the person who is scheduled to bat last " in any up to date rules I've seen (5-11-A in ASA). Same thing as the batter who, in the batting order, precedes the batter leading off the inning.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Keep it simple

Keep it simple and say, "The batter who is scheduled to bat LAST" in that appropriate inning.

It doesn't matter how you say it, but the reality of it is, the batter who is scheduled to bat last will be the proper player to place on second in a tie-breaker situation.

If a batter doesn't complete their time at bat, still the last scheduled batter is placed on second.

If you had a properly appealed BOO, the last scheculed batter is who goes to second.

Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rharrell
Sorry.......I meant top of the tenth.

The real question is, would it be the last batted out (batter who popped up), or the last out (runner thrown out at 3rd)?

Umpire put the runner thrown out at third on second in the top of the 10th (she had already made several base running errors) indicating "last out" should be the runner. Batter who popped out was a speedster who could have gotten home.

Looked through my NFHS rule book, but since tie breaker rules are set by State, couldn't find anything.

I'm used to the term "last batted out", but not certain this applies in GHSA.

The actual GHSA ruling (from GHSA white book) states "In Fast Pitch Softball, the tie-breaker procedure for extra-inning games will be used. Procedure: At the top of the eighth inning (and all subsequent half innings), the player who was the last batter in the previous inning is placed on second base and regular rules apply thereafter. The game continues until a winner is determined." Page 150 in the just issued 2005-2006 edition.

Now, some idiot will probably attempt to assert that a batter who didn't complete their at-bat should be placed on second, so it isn't worded as cleanly as might be desirable. But, the intent is clear (or certainly should be). Have your coach notify the GHSA association secretary to make sure the umpire is advised of his error. If s/he isn't sure who that is, we are posted on http://www.ghsa.net.

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on Aug 17th, 2005 at 01:51 PM]
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Now, some idiot will probably attempt to assert that a batter who didn't complete their at-bat should be placed on second, so it isn't worded as cleanly as might be desirable.
Well if Coach Idiot insists, all you would have to do is turn the pitcher around and have her pitch to the runner on 2B, because that is who is due up that inning. lol
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Tony,

I am impressed with you! Keep up the good work as I see your brain has moved from coach to umpire! Different hats, different perspective, wouldn't you say so, Steve?

Elaine

P.S. As the heat index has been 100 and above this week, I'm glad I wasn't behind the plate with all the gear--whew, what weather here in Atlanta! Reminds me of the National in 1999 at Lost Mountain--mind and body draining!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

The term "last batted out" is tossed around in softball as if it's a routine part of the game. Can anyone tell me whether this term appears in any rule book? I've never seen it.