View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rharrell
Sorry.......I meant top of the tenth.

The real question is, would it be the last batted out (batter who popped up), or the last out (runner thrown out at 3rd)?

Umpire put the runner thrown out at third on second in the top of the 10th (she had already made several base running errors) indicating "last out" should be the runner. Batter who popped out was a speedster who could have gotten home.

Looked through my NFHS rule book, but since tie breaker rules are set by State, couldn't find anything.

I'm used to the term "last batted out", but not certain this applies in GHSA.

The actual GHSA ruling (from GHSA white book) states "In Fast Pitch Softball, the tie-breaker procedure for extra-inning games will be used. Procedure: At the top of the eighth inning (and all subsequent half innings), the player who was the last batter in the previous inning is placed on second base and regular rules apply thereafter. The game continues until a winner is determined." Page 150 in the just issued 2005-2006 edition.

Now, some idiot will probably attempt to assert that a batter who didn't complete their at-bat should be placed on second, so it isn't worded as cleanly as might be desirable. But, the intent is clear (or certainly should be). Have your coach notify the GHSA association secretary to make sure the umpire is advised of his error. If s/he isn't sure who that is, we are posted on http://www.ghsa.net.

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on Aug 17th, 2005 at 01:51 PM]