The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

We just wrapped up a big tournament this weekend. Great ball and I was lucky enough to get to work the two semi-finals (this is my first year of tournament ball), but I hung around to watch the championship game. This had a couple of the "big guns" of umpiring in the area working, so I was excited to see them work such a high caliber game.

Well, about the third inning one team's pitcher hit the other team's catcher in the helmet with a change-up. Apparently she had also been hit in an earlier game between the two teams in the tournament. This lead to the coach screaming about beanballs and USC, but the situation was resolved. However, at the half inning he came out to argue further, talking to both the 1B and 3B umpires. The 1B umpire eventually gave him the big heave-ho, but then the 3B umpire told the other umpire to calm down and apparently unejected the coach, who was instead told to remain in the dugout the rest of the game. Is there any rule that permits this kind of action by another umpire?

Sara
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 10-6-B

I'd say no based on the rule, but sounds like it might be a HTBT scenario.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
We just wrapped up a big tournament this weekend. Great ball and I was lucky enough to get to work the two semi-finals (this is my first year of tournament ball), but I hung around to watch the championship game. This had a couple of the "big guns" of umpiring in the area working, so I was excited to see them work such a high caliber game.

Well, about the third inning one team's pitcher hit the other team's catcher in the helmet with a change-up. Apparently she had also been hit in an earlier game between the two teams in the tournament. This lead to the coach screaming about beanballs and USC, but the situation was resolved. However, at the half inning he came out to argue further, talking to both the 1B and 3B umpires. The 1B umpire eventually gave him the big heave-ho, but then the 3B umpire told the other umpire to calm down and apparently unejected the coach, who was instead told to remain in the dugout the rest of the game. Is there any rule that permits this kind of action by another umpire?
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOUGHT NOT TO OVERTURN ANOTHER UMPIRES RULING UNLESS HE ASK. ANY JUDGEMENT CALLS, IF QUESTIONED, SHOULD BE DONE AFTER THE GAME AND AWAY FROM THE FIELD.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by SF
................ However, at the half inning he came out to argue further, talking to both the 1B and 3B umpires. The 1B umpire eventually gave him the big heave-ho, but then the 3B umpire told the other umpire to calm down and apparently unejected the coach, who was instead told to remain in the dugout the rest of the game. Is there any rule that permits this kind of action by another umpire?
The only way I can see this happening is if the 3rd base umire talked to the 1st base umpire and, convincing him/her that maybe there was an overreaction on the incident, the 1st base umpire just simply modified (toned down) his ejection to a restriction.

The rule stated above 10.6.b specifically prohibits another umpire from reversing a decision of a fellow umire.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

odd

If you are going to throw at someone, I highly doubt you are going to throw your change up.

Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 06:52pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Re: odd

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
If you are going to throw at someone, I highly doubt you are going to throw your change up.
Had a game earlier this season (NFHS) where our pitcher threw an opening pitch changeup and the batter just stood there and watched it hit her... and got first base. confused smiley

[tounge in cheek] I guess NFHS eliminated the requirement to try to get out of the way this year [/tounge in cheek]

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Unejection

OK...I have to ask: was the coach who was ejected/unejected the only adult coach with the team?
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Nope... one of three or maybe 4 adult coaches all dressed up in their matching polos.

Sara